dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
While making room in hte shop, the canopy fell on it edge resulting in the attached damage. With the exception of the crack, all of it is aft of the roll bar.

1. Can this be repaired? I doubt it can.

Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• Canopy Damage.pdf
    337.1 KB · Views: 672
man that sucks, sorry.
You can stop drill and fill that crack with a plexiglass repair product but the name escapes me at the moment. Hopefully someone will chime in.

I don't think there's an easy way to repair the big chip thats missing. But thats on the trailing edge of the tipup, right? If it were me, once I was done feeling sorry for myself I'd probably just layup a fiberglass tonneau strip to cover it up.

man that sucks, sorry.
You can stop drill and fill that crack with a plexiglass repair product but the name escapes me at the moment. Hopefully someone will chime in.

I don't think there's an easy way to repair the big chip thats missing. But thats on the trailing edge of the tipup, right? If it were me, once I was done feeling sorry for myself I'd probably just layup a fiberglass tonneau strip to cover it up.
I like this idea. As an airline A&P we would see pilots write up delamitation and cloudiness on cockpit windows. Unless it was further than 6” from the edge, cracked or limited the view of the pilot, we’d sign it off as within limits per the maintenance manual. Unless it blocked your veiw, I would conduct a repair and monitor the area.

Unless you will compete for an award at OSH, nobody will notice your repair. I have used IPS WELD-ON #16 successfully for repairing Acrylic aka Plexiglass. In addition to the above suggestions, you could glue a layer of acrylic over the damaged area to reinforce it if desired, perhaps an 8" square. Home Depot and Lowes sell acrylic.

Last edited:
Do not forget to round out the edges of the missing piece before you proceed to making the fiberglass skirt to cover it. A dremel with a small bit should do the job quickly. Treat it as you would if you were to debur a similar flaw in aluminum.

I like this idea. As an airline A&P we would see pilots write up delamitation and cloudiness on cockpit windows. Unless it was further than 6” from the edge, cracked or limited the view of the pilot, we’d sign it off as within limits per the maintenance manual. Unless it blocked your veiw, I would conduct a repair and monitor the area.
What’s the difference between a pilot and a puppy? Puppies stop whining after 12-weeks.

man that sucks, sorry.

Plastifix. I repaired my canopy with it years ago and it’s still working great.

Thank you everyone for your ideas and condolences. My wallet also thanks you, a repair is in the future.

Happy Easter