Has anybody, or know anybody that , put true side stack exhaust on their RV?

I was researching exhaust options for my IO360 M1B RV8, and got me to thinking

I don't need to worry about carb ice, ...check
Everyone says cabin heat doesn't work anyway, ...check
I went with full seat and back seat warmers, ...check
My daily driver MK4 roadster with side pipes has already conditioned me to loud exhaust, ...check

I have no idea how it would sound, but it would look cool.
Night flights? sign me up.

Anticipate a few challenges with cooling and cowling design, but going to have them anyway, right?

JW

Attachments

• L's am front best.JPG
    L's am front best.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 108
I saw pictures of an RV3 that had the stub stacks just like a Cassutt racer. The -3 and -4 cowls would be fairly easy, but the cooling leakage may be a problem..as mentioned, hard to beat sound and simplicity of the Vetterman 4 pipe , which is what I put on mine.

I'm with Mikey and Carl. Besides, who said the heater doesn't work? Mine works perfectly, mounted to the #1 exhaust.
These stacks are vinyl printed from a super-duper-high-definition photo of a P-51 in a well-lit museum.

IMG_0464.jpg

Why yes there has ...

A repeat builder out here in central California did that, way back, to an RV8 - 10 x uglier in person than John Stahr's representation. Please don't make me look at another one! When the builder tried to sell it - no bueno. It went somewhere, but I think the "exposed" exhaust system may have gone the way of the buffalo ...

HFS

YMMV - But if you ever saw it, you would never forget.

Why yes there has ...

A repeat builder out here in central California did that, way back, to an RV8 - 10 x uglier in person than John Stahr's representation. Please don't make me look at another one! When the builder tried to sell it - no bueno. It went somewhere, but I think the "exposed" exhaust system may have gone the way of the buffalo ...

HFS

YMMV - But if you ever saw it, you would never forget.

I saw one recently listed for sale in Phoenix, I believe, that looked like it had pipes sticking out from the cowling. Price was reasonable, but just didn't look right to me, and I love WWII fighters with exposed stacks.

Just picturing the rumbling staccato of a mighty Merlin taxiing by.
Now trying to visualize a Lycoming flat 4 with 2 stubbies sticking out the side taxiing by… pop pop, pop pop, pop pop… not inspiring at all.

Not to mention that the 2 stubbies would probably come out the sides of a lower cowling just below Kelly Girl's 'stack' (as pictured) - not where the pictured exhaust stack graphic is on the top cowling (valve cover level on a Lycoming)

Pop pop...

Last edited: