AussieRV8

I'm New Here
I am a newbie, so this post may include some really dumb questions. Hoping to get some collective wisdom/ advice.

I have an Rv8 (purchased) running a Dynon HDX and a VP-X Sport. I want to add the Dynon ADSB in module SV-ADSB-472.

The RX/TX will be connected directly to the HDX on one of the unused serial ports. However, for power & GND, I have a problem in that the VP-X has run out of available power pins. It seems my two options are to:
(a) combine power and GND with the transponder SV-XPNDR-261 (which uses the VPX J12-pins 3 and 4) or
(b) Since, I have 2 USB chargers (front and rear), using 2 VPX pins, I could combine the USB chargers and make way for the ADSB to have its own power pin.
  1. If I went option (a), VP-X amps for the transponder is set to 3A - would I leave this or increase to 5A?
  2. If I went option (b), can I run the two USB chargers on one PIN - what would I set amps at?
  3. Any better plan I am not thinking of or any other advice?

Assuming that you haven't already, the first thing I would recommend is to download the respective Dynon & VP-X manuals. The Dynon manual is very detailed about the current requirements of each device, and the VP-X manual has some suggestions about dealing with the situations you describe (i.e. running out of power pins). One suggestion (aside from the ones you have listed), would be to use one of the power pins to provide power to a small fuse panel, then power the devices from there. If you do this, I suggest doing it for the USB ports as they're less critical than Tx or ADSB.

Check the USB ports if possible, as they may have a power rating on it from which you can calculate maximum current. If they're USB-A ports, they'll max out around 2A, USB-C is more like 3A.

I am a newbie, so this post may include some really dumb questions. Hoping to get some collective wisdom/ advice.

I have an Rv8 (purchased) running a Dynon HDX and a VP-X Sport. I want to add the Dynon ADSB in module SV-ADSB-472.

The RX/TX will be connected directly to the HDX on one of the unused serial ports. However, for power & GND, I have a problem in that the VP-X has run out of available power pins. It seems my two options are to:
(a) combine power and GND with the transponder SV-XPNDR-261 (which uses the VPX J12-pins 3 and 4) or
(b) Since, I have 2 USB chargers (front and rear), using 2 VPX pins, I could combine the USB chargers and make way for the ADSB to have its own power pin.
  1. If I went option (a), VP-X amps for the transponder is set to 3A - would I leave this or increase to 5A?
  2. If I went option (b), can I run the two USB chargers on one PIN - what would I set amps at?
  3. Any better plan I am not thinking of or any other advice?
According to the Dynon installation manual the SV-XPNDR-261 draws 0.4A at 12v, and the SV-ADSB-472 draws 0.1A at 12v, so both together is pretty minimal. Additionally, the Advanced ACM powers both together through a 3A circuit breaker, so you should be fine with option a on the VP-X.

Thank you Geoff and Kevin for taking the time to answer,

I also came to the conclusion that the current draw from the SV-XPNDR-261 and SV-ADSB-472 combined is minimal. Confirmation that these are combined on the Advanced ACM module gives me confidence. I will keep the idea of the fuse panel for the next installation.

Thanks again.