What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

YIO-390-EXP119

danegging

I'm New Here
I'm building an RV14A and its time to order the engine. I plan on the YIO-390-EXP119. Vans offers "YIO-390-EXP119" and "YIO-390-EXP119 W/ Acc". Can someone tell me what is "W/ Acc"? Vans hasn't answered when asked.

Any experience with Lycoming EIS Ignition vs. E-Mags Ignition. Will the engine come with Lycoming EIS ignition installed vs. builder installed as I assume for E-Mags?

They offer standard, low and high compression. I assume standard is 100 LL or 100 NL (the future), and low compression is MOGAS.

I am also considering the Aerobatic / Inverted oil system to make the A/C aerobatic and more sellable when I’m too old to fly it. Any feedback on what that system does to engine performance in normal flight?

Much obliged for the feedback!

“W/Acc” is with accessories case that has the vacuum pump mounting pad, which most people use for a backup alternator these days. Also, I think the standard compression ratio for exp 119 is 8.9:1 and the high compression is 10:1. I’m planning on running MOGAS, so I had my engine built with the 8.9:1 pistons. I really don’t think any lower compression is needed to do so. Yes, it’s right on the edge of potentially flirting with detonation if running MOGAS, but I think I’ll be fine with the 8.9:1’s. You can also choose your ignition and I don’t think you can go wrong with P-mags.

Last edited:
[WRONG] I believe the ACC option is the flywheel with the extra groove for the belt for the air conditioner compressor belt to run in. [/WRONG]

I stand corrected, it’s the accessory case, thanks Mark33. I thought they also presented an option for the AC flywheel too, can’t remember.

I don’t think the inverted oil system would have any noticeable impact on performance.

G100UL is (hopefully some day soon) the future, and I would guess MOGAS isn’t that available on a regular basis (cross country etc), and G100UL will run all the compressions levels just fine, so you could choose whichever suits your budget and HP requirements.

Last edited:
“W/Acc” is with accessories case

“W/Acc” is with accessories case, and I would recommend. No additional cost but does weigh a few lbs. more.

"W/Acc" denotes retention of the accessory case parts to allow a second, smaller alternator to be installed as a backup. By default, these were removed from the EXP119 engine to reduce weight (along with a couple of other changes to parts like the sump and oil pump). So, this option allows you to "add them back" if you want/need to run an accessory drive option. On the online order form, the note to explain this is "Includes vacuum/alternator accessory pad."

Last edited:
I’m curious what was the oil pump change ?
Thanks Greg in advance.

Switched config to a billet aluminum housing. This is pulled from the original announcement:

The IO-390-EXP119 engine is a lean and mean, Van’s-specific variant of the Lycoming IO-390C.

It incorporates a newly designed cold air induction: the intake plenum is completely separate of the oil sump and the aluminum intake pipes are perfectly tuned for maximum horsepower. To take advantage of the increased flow capabilities, the engine is delivered standard with a high-performance Airflow Performance FM-200C fuel injection system. This fuel servo is tuned specifically for the Van’s RV-14 and is the highest-flowing servo available for a 4-cylinder Lycoming engine. All of this results in more power driving your prop for maximum performance.

The 390-EXP doesn’t just pack on the muscle, it also sheds weight. The new sump has a 7-quart oil capacity, reducing the wet weight of the engine. Aluminum intake pipes further reduce the weight of the new induction design. The accessory housing was optimized for modern glass avionics by removing the unneeded drives for a vacuum pump and tach drive. Even the oil pump shed some weight using a new billet aluminum housing. These new parts make the 390-EXP119 weigh even less than the 200hp 360s the RV-14 was originally designed with. And, the 390-EXP119 weighs about 10 pounds less than its 390A cousin.​

Back