What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WX From SC to OSH Looks BAD

edclee

Well Known Member
Patron
Wife and I figured a WX window leaving here in SC Wed, Thur, or Fri early for OSH. For the first time in our experience, it looks like we cant make it through all that, given we have to get over or around the mountains. Maybe if we left Wed (tomorrow) and flew all the way out to Missouri then turned north, but the winds aloft are out of sight. :eek:

Friday looks pretty good to me--that's when we're flying up from Tampa. Definitely better than Wed or Thur.

Last edited:
Guess I was lucky. Flew from Savannah to southern Michigan on Sunday. Really crummy VFR with viz 3-5 miles north of the mountains but very smooth IFR atop the haze and such.

Be careful, and fly within your limits! But your post shows that you know that already...

Ed

WX

Guess I was lucky. Flew from Savannah to southern Michigan on Sunday. Really crummy VFR with viz 3-5 miles north of the mountains but very smooth IFR atop the haze and such.

Be careful, and fly within your limits! But your post shows that you know that already...

Ed

Thanks for the post, yes timing is everything. Unfortunately, although IFR rated and hundreds of hours of it loggged, Now retired I dont have the opportunity to stay current and choose not to keep it up. So VFR for me.
Ed

We're looking at the same thing

Headed out there this year in a Cessna 120. West Virginia is often a problem, as I'm sure you've experienced, but it looks to be in rare form on Thursday and (perhaps) Friday.

Wife and I figured a WX window leaving here in SC Wed, Thur, or Fri early for OSH. For the first time in our experience, it looks like we cant make it through all that, given we have to get over or around the mountains. Maybe if we left Wed (tomorrow) and flew all the way out to Missouri then turned north, but the winds aloft are out of sight. :eek:

According to the long range forecast, Friday will be VFR your entire route. I use Windy.com for some of my flight planning. I like using the "rain/thunder" selection and the "cloud base" selection.

Back