What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

writing on aluminum parts

I just use a bit of isopropyl alcohol on a rag. Sometimes it needs a couple of wipes, but it’s always worked for me. Never had to use any abrasive. For instant removal, a quick wipe with MEKP will do it, though I gather that it can be hard to get in some places.
Cheers DaveH

Light touch with acetone on a paper towel is my go-to 99% of the time. The other 1% usually requires a second application. I do try yo keep acetone off of skin. No abrasives normally required.

We used 95% ethanol in the lab to remove from glassware and plastics since acetone and plastics dont play nicely. Best part it make a wicked Christmas punch. 🤪

I use acetone.

I don't always remove the factory lettering from the skins. I use a paint prep product for grease and wax removal. It leaves the ink in place for the most part, which I am ok with as I also use a sharpie to mark my parts for reasembaly. I prime with a 2K epoxy primer, and it lifts the ink so you see it on the surface. I think it looks kind of cool. Anyway, it does not appear to have any impact on pain adhesion (time will tell). Of course, I will not be doing that where interior skins can be seen (cockpit), or when I eventually paint the exterior.

MEKP is nasty stuff, it can cause blindness if you get a splash in your eye, probably not a good idea to use it for general wiping. It's what's in the little catalyst tube that comes with polyester resin, use safety goggles when mixing.
Acetone or lacquer thinner works well, acetone is better as lacquer thinner can leave a residue that can mess up some paints. Use gloves.

how do i remove the writing from aluminum parts, red ink,large numbers and letters?
The replies above are all good. For the ink, it's best to try the least toxic materials first, I keep cheap vodka (not for consumption) in the garage for the first try for any solvent. Next, consider acetone, then mineral spirits. MEK should not be necessary. And, by the way, if you look at the product ingredients listed on the marker you used, whatever solvent in is listed is likely to work.

If any of your numbers and letters are stick on or decals, soften with a hair dryer.

Back