What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Would like to FLYLED but cant find a switch.

jrm7997

Hello all I hope this Sunday finds you in less snow then we have :)

I have been looking into upgrading my RV6A landing lights to FlyLED. One of my problems has been finding a switch to use. The one I have right now is a SPST. I read where I can use it with FlyLEDs wigwag board. But I also read a good point about having the taxi light on by itself to stop from blinding everyone with all the lights being on. This would be the case if I used the SPST that would be all on - off - or all wigwag.

That having been said, i spent a lot of time today trying to find a McGill SPDT 0801-0311 or DPDT 0831-0311 that matches what i have. I was good at finding panel/snapin versions but had no luck finding the screw in offset version. I've attached a picture FYI.

While looking at FlyLEDs wiring directions I thought that maybe I should post this here hoping that one of you might be able to point me in the right direction. If you have some of these switches or can lead me to them I would be forever in your debt. Well, maybe not forever but ...... :)

Thanks in advance
Jim

Attachments

• IMG-0834.jpg
    IMG-0834.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 92
Flyleds

When you say all the other lights can I assume you mean the nav and strobe lights also on the same switch as you taxi n landing lights? If so your Nav and strobe should be separate from your landing lights.

I have a 3 position switch for my Nav/strobe lights (Off-Nav only-Nav n Strobe). Your strobe lights are the only thing you need to be concerned about on the ground and usually only at night. The landing/taxi lights for an A-model RV are usually for most people at the same level so there really is no taxi light per se unlike for a tail dragger where you would have an actual taxi light(s) pointed slightly down from horizontal with the tail obviously on the ground. For a tail dragger then the courteous thing to do is only use your taxi lights while on the ground, especially at night.

In the case for taxi/landing lights you can also use a 3 position switch (Off-Taxi only-Taxi n Landing).

Last edited:
Nav lights are seperatte.

My Nav lights are separate. My taxi/wigwag are on the SPST. Thats why I need a SPDT on- off - on switch

I don't think this is the right switch, he's looking for a 3 position on-off-on switch. It's not a mcgill, but this looks similar enough that you'll likely be the only one to know its a different manufacturer switch:
https://www.tedss.com/2027002159

As other people have said, since you're a tricycle gear the taxi and landing lights are pointed in the same direction so, in my opinion, having them all on isn't any worse to other pilots than only having the taxi lights on. If you stare into one of these lights vs 3 of these lights, they all appear blinding with no significant change in the level of how blind they make you. You could use your current on-off switch with the wig-wag module to toggle between on and wig-wag and be just fine.

as Scott mentioned about the mass of diagrams and options

Correct. That is the same switch i have. SPST

But, the one you posted is correct for what I'm looking for. I'll send a request/check and see is they have more precise dimensions.

But, as Scott mentioned about the mass of diagrams and options, and your comment about the stance of the 6A maybe i am wasting my time. My big concern was sending too much light at other aircraft. The point you made about one or six looking at you is good. However, i think i am going to look at that switch to see if I can make it work.

With the SPST that I have and FlyLEDs cool wigwag board I can cycle through all on, all wigwag or all off just by flipping the switch off and on. But that is a bit of a PITA. A SPDT would be the proper way to go.

Thanks for all the input.

Back