What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wood prop manufacturer recommendations

Catto has a great reputation, but the props tend to cost twice what other wood/composite props cost. If price is a consideration, Performance Props might be an option, and I'm sure there are others too.

Me Too

Catto seems to be the Gold Standard. Installed one of their props on our RV-6 and had some pretty impressive performance gains although in fairness, the propeller it replaced was a mismatch. The price issue depends on where you stand. While the Catto is expensive compared to other experimental propellers, it’s a howling bargain compared to type certified props.

Thanks for the replies. I am probably 3 or 4 years from hanging up flying so was looking for a good deal. My current prop may even see me thru. The main reason I was even considering a new one was trying a coarser pitch but I may be ok where I am. I have a 0235 108hp in my RV3 and see 2050 rpm on roll for takeoff and about 2550 max rpm in level flight.

Like Kyle said Performance Propellers are really good. Before I switched to constant speed the last prop I had was a Performance Propeller and I was very happy with it.

Thanks for the replies. I am probably 3 or 4 years from hanging up flying so was looking for a good deal. My current prop may even see me thru. The main reason I was even considering a new one was trying a coarser pitch but I may be ok where I am. I have a 0235 108hp in my RV3 and see 2050 rpm on roll for takeoff and about 2550 max rpm in level flight.

I suggest you give Culver Propellers a call. Family run business in the south, one of the aviation mags did a story on them recently, a guy at our airport bought a prop from them and was very happy. A good price, great service, looks and performs well.

I don't think you want a COARSER pitch prop..if anything, you wan a FINER pitch prop.. you should be able to get redline rpm in WOT flight. The TCDS show various models of the O-235 with redline RPMs of 2800 rpm. I think you would get better performance if you could get a little more rpm on takeoff. Just something to think about, the 0-320 only weighs something like 6 pounds more than the O-235, and has 50% more HP…

Back