What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring smoke system to stick grip

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
How would one do that? I've got it on a switch now on the panel but I'm getting a new stick with some functionality and want to run smoke off of it. I belive it's a momentary on single throw switch on the stick.

Is this possible?

It's pretty easy to wire just about anything to a stick push button. They won't handle the amp draw of something like a motor or whatever, hence the need for a relay, which is just a bigger switch activated by the little switch in the stick.

Stick buttons typically close the circuit on the ground side, so a typical way to set up what you're wanting to do would be to wire an arming switch on the wire that supplies power to the relay to act as a sort of safety against any accidental button pushes, then wire the stick button to ground in the wire coming off of relay terminal 30 in the schematic shown in the first response.

It’s more the relay type to use, since it’s a momentary switch, IE have to hold for activation, would like arm switch then on/off via the momentary

Attachments

• SMOKE.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 23
How would one do that? I've got it on a switch now on the panel but I'm getting a new stick with some functionality and want to run smoke off of it. I belive it's a momentary on single throw switch on the stick.

Is this possible?

I have a "smoke system" switch on the RHS lower switch panel that enables the system, and a separate breaker for the pump which runs constantly. I have a SPST on the grip in the pinkie position. That energizes a relay which in turn opens a solenoid valve down low on the inside of the firewall where the smoke line runs through it. Very near the fuel line.

This setup gives me about as crips on/off as you're likely to get.

I have a "smoke system" switch on the RHS lower switch panel that enables the system, and a separate breaker for the pump which runs constantly. I have a SPST on the grip in the pinkie position. That energizes a relay which in turn opens a solenoid valve down low on the inside of the firewall where the smoke line runs through it. Very near the fuel line.

This setup gives me about as crips on/off as you're likely to get.
Button is a momentary button unfortunately

You can use a relay that switches to one side or the other with a momentary button push. It will stay on the other contact until you press a momentary switch again. Used in automotive applications. This will allow smoke to turn on with a momentary button push, stay on, and then turn off with the same momentary button push.

Latching Bi stable Relay

You can use a relay that switches to one side or the other with a momentary button push. It will stay on the other contact until you press a momentary switch again. Used in automotive applications. This will allow smoke to turn on with a momentary button push, stay on, and then turn off with the same momentary button push.

Latching Bi stable Relay

Can you link one that you have used in this application?

The ones I found all needed a momentary switch to ground to open, and a seperate momentary switch to ground to close. I couldn’t find a latching relay which could be switched on and off using the same switch/ground - they physically have seperate “activate” and a “reset” contacts. You could use 2 buttons on your stick grip I suppose…

Can you link one that you have used in this application?

The ones I found all needed a momentary switch to ground to open, and a seperate momentary switch to ground to close. I couldn’t find a latching relay which could be switched on and off using the same switch/ground - they physically have seperate “activate” and a “reset” contacts. You could use 2 buttons on your stick grip I suppose…

https://www.learningelectronics.net/circuits/momentary-switch-teamed-with-latching_03.html

Is this possible?
Can you change the momentary to toggle on/off? Smoke on a momentary isn't optimum without a very bright, conspicuous status light. It's going to get left on our turned off when you want it on. Still need a relay regardless.

Back