What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring Dynon A/Ps into Skyview

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
On page 4 of the Dynon A/P Servo mounting instructions, it seems to show BOTH roll and pitch autopilot servos wired into only one D9 connector into the Skyview network. However, on page 10-10 of the Skyview Installation guide, it seems to show each autopilot servo getting their own D9 connector into Skyview. Any guidance out there on this one?

On page 4 of the Dynon A/P Servo mounting instructions, it seems to show BOTH roll and pitch autopilot servos wired into only one D9 connector into the Skyview network. However, on page 10-10 of the Skyview Installation guide, it seems to show each autopilot servo getting their own D9 connector into Skyview. Any guidance out there on this one?
Clay,
I went over this installation myself and had a ton of help from John Bright. I can't see how you would want to wire them together, makes no sense logically. That part of the instructions must be in error. I have a separate DB9 for each servo and separated out the pwr, grd, and signal wires as I do not have the ACM unit. Those DB9's go to a "HUB" tha is then linked to the SV-AP panel with a short pigtail DB9 run.

The AP servos are the same as other SkyView Network components with one exception: the power of the AP servos are separate than the SV-NET power wires. Whether you splice the two servos into a single D9 connector, or use two D9 connectors and connect to a SV-NET-HUB (for example) it results in the same connections. I've added an annotated screenshot of my wiring diagram showing the AP servos connected to the hub with separate power wires (to my VPX) and the AP Disengage wire (in yellow) routed to the stick. The two D9s connected to the hub only have the data wires connected as that is all that needs to be spliced into the SkyView Network.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 10.47.38 AM.png

For Dynon autopilot servos I do not use the standard SkyView network cable. For each servo I use:
- (1) four #22 conductor shielded wire for the network connection. The conductors are twisted in the cable so they meet the network cross talk requirements.
- (1) #20 wire for servo power
- (1) #20 wire for servo ground
- (1) #22 wire for AutoPilot Disconnect

I use a male and female 9 Pin D connector at each servo to make the connection. This allows for easy servo repair/replacement.

Carl

The word back from Dynon was... either way. If you're running out ofr Skyview connections or it just makes sense to you, you can gang them together into one D9. If you'd prefer to have them separate, then keep them separate.

And, as long as you've pulled out your pages and wiring diagrams, another question. The Dynon installation shows BOTH servos combined into one power lead which goes through a switch or breaker before going to ship's power. Since I'm doing VPX, the magic red box wants to put each servo (Roll and Pitch) on it's own circuit with a 5 amp breaker on each. However, I'd also like an A/P Disconnect switch. So my plan is to wire them together as the Dynon page shows to a disconnect switch before going to the VPX where I will combine both A/P servos into one circuit?

And, as long as you've pulled out your pages and wiring diagrams, another question. The Dynon installation shows BOTH servos combined into one power lead which goes through a switch or breaker before going to ship's power. Since I'm doing VPX, the magic red box wants to put each servo (Roll and Pitch) on it's own circuit with a 5 amp breaker on each. However, I'd also like an A/P Disconnect switch. So my plan is to wire them together as the Dynon page shows to a disconnect switch before going to the VPX where I will combine both A/P servos into one circuit?
Personally I did both AP servos to a single pin on the VPX. The justification is that I do not plan on utilizing either axis independently, and if one fails, I will disable the pair no matter what. The AP disconnect switch bypasses the VPX and goes directly to the servos, and to a switch on the stick to ground.

I do not have a AP enable (or AP master, not sure if this is what you meant instead of disconnect? ) switch in the system per the recommendation of Dynon (see this dynon forum link). The AP Servos are powered when my Avionics master is enabled (per pin assignment on the VPX).

Personally I did both AP servos to a single pin on the VPX. The justification is that I do not plan on utilizing either axis independently, and if one fails, I will disable the pair no matter what. The AP disconnect switch bypasses the VPX and goes directly to the servos, and to a switch on the stick to ground.

I do not have a AP enable (or AP master, not sure if this is what you meant instead of disconnect? ) switch in the system per the recommendation of Dynon (see this dynon forum link). The AP Servos are powered when my Avionics master is enabled (per pin assignment on the VPX).
Autopilot Disconnect on the stick. Single 10amp pull breaker runs both servos. Simple.

Carl

Back