What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When Airplanes Come Alive....

AV8ER

Well Known Member
Over my two decade tenure flying full scale airplanes I’ve come to realize there are memorable moments when an airplane comes to life if you take the time to notice them. The first for me being back in 2002 on October 13th when I flew Cap Flying Club’s Cessna N107AT out of Orlando Executive (KORL) on my first intro ride. Sitting in the left seat as we lifted off the runway the airplane came alive. The feeling was something I hadn’t felt before and there was no doubt about it that the airplane was alive and keeping me alive.

The second time I witnessed this phenomenon was a short 10.4 dual hours later at Titusville (KTIX) when I soloed N9336H. As my instructor John Nadon climbed out of the right seat and onto the ramp, I taxied out to the runway solo, lifted the wheels off the ground and the feeling I had was “wow, I’m actually doing this, I’m the only on in here, and look how fast this thing climbs!”.

The next time an airplane came alive for me was when I met our RV-10 N7ZK in Ocala (KOCF). The builder and now good friend Carl, took myself and (2) of my buddies for a demo flight. Having only a short flight in Van’s 210 horse power RV-10 factory demonstrator, when Carl punched the throttle and all 260 ponies came to life my head got pinned to the headrest and the RV-10 came alive BEFORE we left the runway. None of the airplanes I had piloted before had done anything other than lumber down the runway until reaching takeoff speed. This airplane was different and let you know it heard your request for takeoff power.

Shortly after that flight I had my next experience. I was getting my required transition training with famed RV-10 transition pilot David Maib. We were doing some touch and goes at Leesburg (KLEE). I got a little low on approach and socked in the normal power adjustment I would have used in our Cherokee 140 and the RV-10 actually lurched, yes it lurched. I let out an uncontrolled shriek of joy having never had an airplane “react” to a power input like this before and David got a bit scared and took control of the airplane mistaking my joyous shrill as something more ominous. Now I know what you RV pilots are thinking, “Huh? What is he talking about?”. Well take any Cessna or Piper driver for a ride in your RV and he will describe this feeling for you in person.

Fast forward to my career change that requires me to get back into the rental fleet to log some multi time in a PA-44 Piper Seminole and I had my latest experience with an airplane coming alive. In the Florida heat its not uncommon to sweat in an airplane. This particular Seminole has flown a lot in its 20 years on the earth. In fact back in 2002 when I flew an airplane from the left seat for the first time this particular Seminole was brand spanking new and out on a flight line somewhere getting acquainted to its life as a training airplane. After coming back from a long training flight I noticed that the Seminole came to life after we landed and shut the engines down. Not being a scientist I have no scientific explanation for what microbes my sweat brought to life in that Seminole seat but I can assure you they were real. The airplane physically came to life, errrr at least the seat did. As I climbed back into my truck for the ride home I noticed that the Seminole did something the RV-10 never had, it gave me a “cologne” to wear until I changed my clothes and took a shower. This cologne had been minted over the airplanes 20 year history and had a piece of each training flight and check-ride this airplane had been a part of. Each pilot and instructor unknowingly contributing to the odor that only comes alive after someone has honed their craft in those seats. I can only say that I am glad I am done wearing that smell but the next time you step into an airplane that has some experience you too may leave with something other than a line in your logbook!

P.S. Of all my “airplane coming alive” moments I have had thus far my favorite is without a doubt the moment I shared with David. The airplane and I both came alive in that moment and our bond was sealed. Not a day goes by that I am not thankful to get to touch my RV.

Back