What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What size vise did you use to open up the RV-12 Longerons?

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
How big of a vise did you use to open up the RV-12 longerons? It seems like most 6-inch vises can generate about 4,000 to 6,000 pounds of force. Is that enough to open the longerons 5.4 degrees?

Maybe it just makes more sense to buy an inexpensive hydraulic press, although I don’t know what else we might use the press for on an RV-12 project.

Thanks,

A big one. And I used a much larger diameter solid rod vs what was recommended. Tried a socket and the open end of the socket started to collapse. Even tried an impact socket and it did the same.

IMG_5085.jpg

I got it done with a cheap-o Lowe’s 4.5 inch vise. I don’t remember having much trouble with it. Used a fair amount of duct tape on the vise jaws to protect everything. Along with some masking tape to help secure the socket so that it didn’t come shooting out.

How big of a vise did you use to open up the RV-12 longerons? It seems like most 6-inch vises can generate about 4,000 to 6,000 pounds of force. Is that enough to open the longerons 5.4 degrees?

Maybe it just makes more sense to buy an inexpensive hydraulic press, although I don’t know what else we might use the press for on an RV-12 project.

Thanks,
I tried a few methods but settled on the Harbor Freight press.

Attachments

• IMG_4348.jpeg
    IMG_4348.jpeg
    959.5 KB · Views: 36
6.5” HF Doyle vice. Also used a solid rod, approx 1.25 dia, but cut it down to ~1.5” long. With the rod longer I could not get I to budge. 20240322_063221_Original.jpeg

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! Lots of different ways to solve this. I think I'll start with a big vise and a solid rod. If that fails, I'll try a press.

By the way, what's the purpose of opening the longerons 5.4 degrees? I'm sure there's a good reason, but I haven't figured it out from looking at the plans.

I used an ancient 4" vise, with a loop of safety wire through the socket (per KAI p. 23-2 fig. 4) instead of tape, to keep it from flying away.

Back