What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What loose equipment do you guys include in your empty weight?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I suspect this may quickly veer off into primer wars territory, but I'm going to ask it anyway. What sort of stuff to you guys include/exclude from your basic empty weight? I'm going to be doing my weight and balance in a few days and I've been mulling this over.

My working theory is that if it's bolted onto the airplane it's obviously part of the empty weight, but what about something like the removable co-pilot stick? In my case, that thing will be leaning in the corner of the hangar 90% of the time.

This is pretty much an academic exercise, but I'm curious what people are doing with stuff like that.

Excluded: O2 tank, smoke oil tank, Bison Bag or whatever it's called that goes behind the seat, all the accroutements of regular or aerobatic flight like gust locks, towbar, cover, etc. Fuel obviously except for unusable fuel (just a few ounces on mine). Any "stuff" in the side panel pockets. Cameras. Basically, a non-smoking aerobatic configuration.
Included: All the interior side panels, carpets, seats. My copilot stick is bolted on, so essentially permanently installed.

Excluded: O2 tank, smoke oil tank, Bison Bag or whatever it's called that goes behind the seat, all the accroutements of regular or aerobatic flight like gust locks, towbar, cover, etc. Fuel obviously except for unusable fuel (just a few ounces on mine). Any "stuff" in the side panel pockets. Cameras. Basically, a non-smoking aerobatic configuration.
Included: All the interior side panels, carpets, seats. My copilot stick is bolted on, so essentially permanently installed.
Pretty much my definition as well. If you could turn the airplane upside down and shake it, anything that falls out is not part of the empty weight.

What sort of stuff to you guys include/exclude from your basic empty weight? I'm going to be doing my weight and balance in a few days and I've been mulling this over.
My working theory is that if it's bolted onto the airplane it's obviously part of the empty weight, but what about something like the removable co-pilot stick? In my case, that thing will be leaning in the corner of the hangar 90% of the time.
Anything that has been built into the airplane to make it fly but including seats and sticks. The pound or so you will lose removing the rear stick is probably not worth the effort and should be included in the empty weight. The oil you need to fly; unusable fuel; all instruments; ELT; empty side panels. Remove: things in the pockets; O2 tanks and equipment unless permanently installed; baggage including spare oil; tie-down stakes; headphones; anything not necessary for flight.

The Empty Weight is important to know. That way you can weigh the things you put in and add those things as you determine how close to gross weight you are getting and, of course, weight-and-balance.

I suspect this may quickly veer off into primer wars territory, but I'm going to ask it anyway. What sort of stuff to you guys include/exclude from your basic empty weight? I'm going to be doing my weight and balance in a few days and I've been mulling this over.

This is pretty much an academic exercise, but I'm curious what people are doing with stuff like that.
I put two quart bottles of oil on top of the cowling, since I fly with only 6.

Fire extinguisher, crash ax, a short POH in the seat back. Those are included since they are "always" items. My W&B spreadsheet has a bunch of toggles on or off. Oxygen? Rear seat(s)? Ditch bag? Alternate rear bulkhead (which fits skis)? I can customize several options depending on mission and configuration.

Back