What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is this canopy clip?

bbaggerman

I have had my RV-12 for about two years now. I have been trying to figure out what this clip on the Roll Bar Frame assembly is for. I don't see it depicted on any of the numerous drawings I have.

1716296326563.png
1716296376171.png

It's a "canopy latch safety catch" added as an option to earlier RV-12s to temporarily hold the canopy in a semi-opened position while the aircraft is at rest or taxiing. It's intent is to hopefully preventing the canopy from suddenly being blown open by a wind gust from behind -- such an event could cause the canopy to blow excessively open, break the retaining struts, fall forward into the prop, and generate very expensive noises. Lots of info in this regard at:

It's a "canopy latch safety catch" added as an option to earlier RV-12s to temporarily hold the canopy in a semi-opened position while the aircraft is at rest or taxiing. It's intent is to hopefully preventing the canopy from suddenly being blown open by a wind gust from behind -- such an event could cause the canopy to blow excessively open, break the retaining struts, fall forward into the prop, and generate very expensive noises.

I came up with the idea following an incident mentioned on VAF about a canopy getting destroyed and shared it on VAF. Vans stole the idea and modified it slightly. When ordering a second screen for my 12 they said they pirated it. In Vans fashion when I said i’d be at Oshkosh and would like a 12 T-shirt, they said they would have them for $25.

Back