What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do w/your RV this weekend? (9/22-24/2023)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...getting the ball rolling.

I flew the -6 Fri morning over to XBP for a gas run. Felt GREAT to get back off the surface in an RV. At nearly three weeks it's been WAY too long. On the way there I needed to go direct as I didn't have a lot of extra fuel. On the way back it was starting to get hot already so I went pretty much direct. The turn N on the way out was a surprise. I was outside KAFW's class D just monitoring, had not talked with them. They came up on comm and asked me to turn N for a bit. Happy to. Never had them call me up in the blind before by N number asking me to vector while well outside their space. Glad I was listening. We stay below 2000 anywhere near their centerline when passing E/W, W/E just to help out. There's a race this weekend at the speedway and I *think* they had more people in the tower ramping up for the helo, etc traffic.

Didn't bother taking a picture....just reacquainted myself with the 'ol girl and worked on re-refining the nuances of the nominal RV flow. Lucked into a nice landing.

Mental gyros recalibrated,
dr

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 4.49.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 4.49.40 PM.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Everyday weekend

When you are retired, everyday is Saturday...
Flew up and saw my daughter; returned at sunset.

Attachments

• sunset 9500 0921923.jpg
    sunset 9500 0921923.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 137
Calibrate Dynon ADAHRS compass…. Still working Phase 1 and having fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpeg
    IMG_0141.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1734.jpg
    IMG_1734.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 83
Local Alt shop chopped their hours to 8-1 M-F, I’m gonna see them early Mon about my PlanePower.

Perfect high 70’s for the kiddos to enjoy the airport and me to get a few more maintenance items done. It’s all about balance……

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 204
Aftermath of the hangar fire two down from me

Well... nothing on the RV per se. Emailed Garmin to check up on the GPS and transponder, as they were sent in to clean out any possible soot from the fire in the hangar two over. (The rest of the avionics are sealed, so they should be okay.)

Trying to figure out what to do with everything in the hangar that was covered with soot. Been rearranging things in the garage to make room for bringing everything home... overcrowding is coming up fast.

Made a few phone calls and, realistically, it looks like an insurance claim on the hangar contents won't happen, certainly not anytime soon, so now to clean up as much stuff as I can. Fantastik spray cleaner seems to work well on soot, and the label says grease cutting.

The tools are home now and the small plastic containers they were in are all clean. I've got ten cases of oil (bought at a really good price!) and I've found a spot for them in the garage, in a back corner. Lots more to come...

The airport hangars were 100% occupied and the fire took eight out of circulation, so I might not have a hangar for working on the RV-9A, let alone parking. The next nearest airport all of a sudden has a waiting list of 70...

In other news, October 1 marks 50 years since first solo. I'll go out and get a couple of landings in a flight school C172, the same kind I soloed in. Logbook now shows 412 hours in 56 individual C172s. And I have 770 hours in C175, basically the same airframe but slightly bigger engine and fuel tanks.

50 years later, going for a flight in what I learned in.

Local Alt shop chopped their hours to 8-1 M-F, I’m gonna see them early Mon about my PlanePower.

Perfect high 70’s for the kiddos to enjoy the airport and me to get a few more maintenance items done. It’s all about balance……

So let me guess... the youngest lad is just happy to be there... the lad driving the Ford 150 is frustrated because it won't start, the lass on the right is not impressed because she wanted to go shopping, while the tow truck driver on the left is smiling with glee at the prospect of having to tow yet another Ford 150 pickup and making an easy $100. Am I close?

:D

Weekend Airshow

I flew to the Madison, IN airshow and captured some video. There were a lot of neat aircraft thre.Great food vendors too:),,,I'm still playong with the 360 camera and I know it's too "Busy" with all the panning around, but it saves a lot of time on "Auto Edit" :).......

https://youtu.be/S_C-QLpnvx4

Flew to Flabob, KRIR, (home of EAA chapter 1) for breakfast.

Very nice day for flying. Smooth, clear, and not a ton of traffic, other than over a practice area that’s always congested.

Passed the jump zone as skydivers were on their way down.

Returned home where a C172 pilot was waiting for his pitot static check to be done. He struck up conversation with me, and mentioned his 172 had 180 hp, and “so it climbs like a homesick angel. It will outclimb your RV-4 any day of the week.” I just smiled.

Replaced the original airworthiness certificate that was in awful shape with a brand new one.

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0522.jpeg
    IMG_0522.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0524.jpeg
    IMG_0524.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0525.jpeg
    IMG_0525.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:
New tires weekend

Put new tires on the 8.

The old ones were probably good for a few more landings, but with 454 landings in 453 hours during the past three years, I don't think they owed me much more.

Brakes still looked good.

It will outclimb your RV-4 any day of the week.” I just smiled.

Reading that you just smiled back in response to that statement, made me smile in imagining the scene...
:D:D:D

I went to the hangar to show my ride to my brother in law.
On request of a member here, I also tested the rudder pedal travel when fully forward as he's looking to install integrated reservoir brake cylinders.
I confirm that they are not close to touch the firewall.
Starting to prepare the annual, due next month.

Last edited:
Replaced the bolts in the tail wheel spring with taper pins. Makes less noise taxiing over expansion joints on the taxiway.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 139
The wife and I enjoyed some fall colors that are just coming up to peak around Hahn's peak.

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_111929.jpg
    IMG_20230924_111929.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 110
Got my -7 empennage kit (most of it anyway) on Friday, got it inventoried and on the shelf yesterday. Still getting my shop set up and cleaned out to start working on it. Hopefully just a couple more weekends and I'll be ready to start on it.

EAA Chapter 179 Annual Land of Enchantment Fly-In

Flew 33 or so miles to AEG for EAA's chapter 179 annual "Land Of Enchantment Fly-In".

Typical weather for the fall, good turnout including a demonstration by the local all RV based formation team "Chile Flight".

IMG_20230923_110833220_HDR.jpg

I gave 4 more of my grandkids rides on Saturday. My 10 year old grandson flew very well. I showed him the altimeter and airspeed and he was hooked!

Attachments

• tobler flight day.jpg
    tobler flight day.jpg
    1,023 KB · Views: 138
Back to Triple Tree for 1 night. Something is better than nothing :cool:
A BIG shoutout to all the volunteers and the controller(s) managing the chaos.
An advantage of coming late on Sat...you get a premium camping spot on the river.

Attachments

• IMG_8553.jpg
    IMG_8553.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 164
Mitch, a friend from the PNW joined me at Triple Tree on Friday. My next door neighbor, Pat got this nice picture of us landing.

Regards,

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 127
Took a sunset flight last night:

Attachments

• shadow.jpg
    shadow.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 56
  • fall colors.jpg
    fall colors.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 46
  • fall colors 2.jpg
    fall colors 2.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 59
road trip (via air) !

Covered a good 850 nm over a long weekend.
Departed 8A1 on Thursday, fairly direct to Triple Tree (SC00), camped two nights (great friends & food), headed to Jekyll Island (09J) on Saturday to visit relatives. Took a slight jog to cruise the coast & view MCRD PI (and reminisce on summer camp in '76).
Took bro in law up Sunday morning before heading home so he could see his Jekyll area.
Direct 09J to 8A1 was pretty much full range for me & the RV12 (325 nm, 10-15 knot headwind, 3 1/2 hours). Left full, landed with 4 gal.
My dream machine RV12 provides much joy !

Attachments

• 9 23 weekend.png
    9 23 weekend.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
Back