What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weird Vibrating Noise Issue

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
I had a strange experience yesterday where I was hearing what I thought was a vibration. It was about a 20 minute flight and I climbed to 6,500 feet. The sound started at about 3,000 feet and continued throughout the remainder of the flight. The weird part is that it continued after landing, and then, after shutdown, at which point I realized it wasn't my airplane at all but something in my head, or perhaps in my headset. When I removed my headset (Lightspeed Zulu), the sound disappeared.

Anyone ever experience something like this? I thought maybe it had something to do with altitude, pressure in my ears, etc. I did get nervous during the flight because the sound seemed to get louder at times. I tried changing RPMs several times, but the vibrating sound always seemed to be at the same frequency in my ears.

Was it this, from page 17 of the manual?
"When flying, what causes a warbling noise in the ear cup?

If your ear is not entirely inside the cup, with a tight seal, air can seep in and cause the ANR to compensate for uneven internal cup pressure. See “Fitting your headset,” on page 4."​

Usually you can feel it vibrating off your ears when it warbles. Just a quick rub kinda reseats it and it goes away.

Usually you can feel it vibrating off your ears when it warbles. Just a quick rub kinda reseats it and it goes away.

Actually, I wore a ball cap on this flight, which I usually don't. Maybe that had something to do with the fit of the headset. Interesting, to say the least.

Back