What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weird IC A210 noise after radio transmission is completed.

liuk

Hello all,

I recently started having a weird noise on my 2nd COMM, which is a Icom A210. The radio starts quite, but after receiving some radio transmission (Rx), it will continue giving out static noise after the radio transmission is completed. The noise does not seem to be affected by squelch setting. The only things I can do to stop the noise are the following:

- Turn the radio off and on again (switching the intercom channel does not help)
- Switch to the backup frequency and then switch back, i.e. quickly press the switch button twice
- Make some transmission on the radio. It works even if I just press the PTT for half a second.

After the noise is gone, it remains silent until next time it receives some legitimate radio transmission, then everything goes all over again.

I searched the forum but couldn't find anyone with similar experience. Could you give me some suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Link to A210 manual.
https://wicom.ca/wicompdfs/icom/avionics/handheld/Airband_IC-A210 Instruction Manual.pdf

On page 26 you have some optional settings.
I would look at Side tone and /or Mic gain.
A small change on side tone ?

Good luck

Thanks! I will definitely check to make sure the sidetone is turned off. But my hunch is that it's not the cause, since the noise problem I'm having starts without any transmission on my side.

So let me clarify the problem with a typical scenario. Say I start the aircraft and tune to the ground frequency, the radio is quiet and everything is nice. Someone else contacts the ground on frequency, the radio picks the communication up showing little "Rx" on the screen, I can hear the communications well and everything still works as it should. After the communication is done however, my radio will continue generating the static noise and the little "Rx" remains on, as if someone on frequency had a hot mic. The noise and "Rx" will disappear if I either switch to another frequency and switch back, or quickly press the PTT button.

Last edited:
This is the squelsh set to low.
Increase the squelsh a bit and problem is gone.

Good luck

Thanks. Do you mean the AM SQL? It's already set to the max number. I also turned off the sidetone and lowered the mic gain today. No difference.

I think these have some electronic noise cancelling. Just a guess, but when it sees a strong Rx signal it turns on some electronic feature and when the strong signal disappears, it takes the feature out again. It sounds like something is off with that function (turns on correctly, but not off - this explains why doing something like PTT or change freq makes it go away). Assuming you did not recently change any settings, this could be either an internal problem of maybe something in the ant or wiring has created too much noise.

Could be a static charge

Do have any plastic around the antenna plug? it could a static charge building up.

Back