What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VPX and Carling V Series LED Switches

jelliott

Friend
I have written to Vertical Power and tried to call them but I have not anything. So I thought I would ask the question here and maybe help someone else with he same problem.
I am wiring a VPX-Sport in a RV-9a. I am using Carling V-series switches with 2 LED lamps. The top lamp has its own terminals. The bottom lamp uses the switch terminals to light up. This lamp is good positive ID the switch is on. The problem is I will need to run 12V to the positive terminal and place a Diode in the switch leg like the manual shows on page 43. The way I need to wire the switch the switch leg will power constantly. I was thinking about using a BJ-53 12V 5W Zener Diode to protect the VPX switch. I wanted to ask if this would work? I tried to attach a sketch to show my plan.

View attachment 2023-02-21 11-18.pdf

For switches going to VP-X, use DPST. The bottom indicator on DPST Carling switches only runs off one side. The other side goes to VPX and Ground. Don't need to screw around with diodes.

Diode not needed, but the on-off light won't work. If you want the on-off indication function, you need a DPST version.

In your drawing
Pin 2, is grounded through both paths (3 and 7) when the switch is closed and floating when open, so all good for the VPX.

The top light will work (consider dimming)

The on-off light will always have 0 volts on both sides so will always be dark

Since the lights are LEDs, pin 7 always has to be grounded if you want the lights to work. The VPX means you need to ground pin 2 to turn the power on. No practical way I can see to make that work without the DPST.

Attachments

• 2023-02-23_17-42-53.jpg
    2023-02-23_17-42-53.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 25
Diode not needed, but the on-off light won't work. If you want the on-off indication function, you need a DPST version.

In your drawing
Pin 2, is grounded through both paths (3 and 7) when the switch is closed and floating when open, so all good for the VPX.

The top light will work (consider dimming)

The on-off light will always have 0 volts on both sides so will always be dark

Since the lights are LEDs, pin 7 always has to be grounded if you want the lights to work. The VPX means you need to ground pin 2 to turn the power on. No practical way I can see to make that work without the DPST.
Thank you very much I bought SPST switches not thinking about this problem. I truly appreciate the answer to the question and the clear explanation.

Back