What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Verification of avionics

Mark33

Well Known Member
I’m trying to verify the validity of a Garmin 255 Nav/Com. There’s a guy that has one for sale, but there’s a couple of things that just doesn’t seem right. The part number on his and the part number of a 255 on the Garmin website is different. The one this guy has is 011-02806-00 as compared to 010-02486-50. Also, if you look closely at the two pictures,….and it’s definitely kind of hard to tell, but the one he has doesn’t appear to have the cooling fan on the back. So what do you guys think? Is this a scam?

Attachments

• IMG_2895.jpeg
    IMG_2895.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2896.jpg
    IMG_2896.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I’m trying to verify the validity of a Garmin 255 Nav/Com. There’s a guy that has one for sale, but there’s a couple of things that just doesn’t seem right. The part number on his and the part number of a 255 on the Garmin website is different. The one this guy has is 011-02806-00 as compared to 010-02486-50. Also, if you look closely at the two pictures,….and it’s definitely kind of hard to tell, but the one he has doesn’t appear to have the cooling fan on the back. So what do you guys think? Is this a scam?

The black labels look photoshopped.

Without commenting at all about the legitimacy of this particular radio... just remember that in the Garmin part number taxonomy, 010- is usually the complete "catalog item" including the unit, packaging, related fasteners and connectors, various box inserts and labels, etc. Whereas 011- typically just denotes an individual unit.

Without commenting at all about the legitimacy of this particular radio... just remember that in the Garmin part number taxonomy, 010- is usually the complete "catalog item" including the unit, packaging, related fasteners and connectors, various box inserts and labels, etc. Whereas 011- typically just denotes an individual unit.

Are you sure it isn’t the other way around? Here’s a picture of a 255 box and it looks like the 011 numbers are denoting the various parts that’s in the box.

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpg
    IMG_2897.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 74
Are you sure it isn’t the other way around? Here’s a picture of a 255 box and it looks like the 011 numbers are denoting the various parts that’s in the box.

Yes, I'm quite sure. 010- is the boxed "product kit" and various items in the box are 011... one of those will be the unit, one probably the connector kit, etc. It varies a bit but 010 is always a higher level than 011.

Yes, I'm quite sure. 010- is the boxed "product kit" and various items in the box are 011... one of those will be the unit, one probably the connector kit, etc. It varies a bit but 010 is always a higher level than 011.

Roger that!

Back