What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans wiring kits

Steve

Well Known Member
Any recommendations from those who have gone before me on which wiring kit is optimum for a day/night VFR equipped plane?
1. Van's box o'parts @ $180.
2. Van's prewired harness with some switches @ $275.
3. Roll your own @ ???

All advice appreciated,
Steve

#3 Roll your own. Just make sure that your switches are DC rated.
Mel...DAR

Depends on your comfort level and mission, but the overall value as far as $$'s goes is to roll your own. I know many people (including myself on my 1st RV) who bought the Van's kits. Then, I figured out what I was paying for the stuff and realized doing it myself was a lot cheaper. Now a few years later look what's happened to me......

That being said, some people have pretty good luck with their pre-made harness if they stick fairly close to how Van wires the airplane.

Overall, the best value is #3, the worst value is #1, and #2 is right in the middle. No matter what you do, you'll still end up spending money on "piece parts" from other places.

Cheers,
Stein.

Stein seems to have forgotten that he sells a wiring kit himself. :) It's a good starter kit if you're starting with nothing. High quality at low prices.

Back