What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unusual Question; how long are the wing spars?

aeroaddict

Well Known Member
The reason for my question is I plan on driving over to Vans to pick up a wing kit (don't have the plans yet). The crate dimensions look as if Vans has standardized the crating (one size fits all). There are 2 crates for a wing kit, the longest is 15' 5" X 10" X 12". I assuming this would be the spars. I'm trying to just do an 8' pickup and not a trailer understanding that there would be still some over hang off the truck bed.

Also, is my assumption correct that this long box is only the spars?

Thanks

If the -9 is anything like the -8 then that box would also contain the longerons, which are about 15’ long.

Longerons are the long thing in that crate. Wing spars on the -9 are right at 11', if measuring off DWG 9 and my memory are correct.

No matter what's in the box (spars, longerons, a swing set..) do you really want THAT much overhang sticking out the back of your pickup truck? Some yahoo behind you may not see it's a long load and could drive right up into it--regardless if it has red flags all over it. Given the value of (and the difficulty of obtaining) the contents of that crate, consider borrowing or renting a trailer or truck if you're going to pick up the shipment yourself.

Impicked up my wing kit from Vans. I think the crate will be tough in a pickup, unless younare from Texas and have a 12’ bed.

Imused a car trailer. Easy-peasey.

Pickup truck bed racks should work - long box extending over the cab. Borrow some or make your own out of 2X4’s.

Thanks all.

I will just rent a trailer and pull it over to Vans. It will slow me down some, but with shipping cost as they are, I'll just burn diesel instead. Plus I don't know if I could get the crate off once back home.

Dan: I've hauled complete wings for bigger aircraft on an overhead pipe rack in the pickup. Wingtip forward and with the root just past the rear of the rack. Way better on the fuel mileage if you have to haul a trailer a long distance. Getting the crate down and off would be easy....unload it first.

I picked up may -14 wings and finish kit from Vans with my short bed pickup and one of these:

Denver to Oregon and back no probs. Most of the weight stays in the bed/tailgate. When I got home I backed into the garage part way, removed the finish kit stuff out of the box on the truck, then slid the wing box off the back until one end made it to the floor, then used an engine hoist strapped to the "front" and pulled my truck out. It was quite easy and not having to yank a trailer 2500 miles was great.

Edit: I just re-read the OP and saw you have an 8' bed. I wonder if you really need anything but the bed extender will certainly make it comfortable and safe.

Last edited:
Back