What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tucson area airports … trip planning

TX7A

Well Known Member
Planning a trip to Tucson around the end of March. Staying 3-4 days. I’ll be coming from El Paso aera KDNA.
KAVQ would be ideal since it’s ten minutes from where we’re staying. I prefer to come in south of the area from Benson. Really would like to avoid the rugged mountainous areas. KTUS looks to be the easiest but is a bit further from where we’re staying.
Would appreciate any advice as to approach to the area, what to avoid, FBOs, tie-downs, etc.
I know I’m probably over-thinking this, but….. Thanks much

Welcome to Tucson. The mountains here are easy to navigate around, staying South and coming through the Benson Airport area is easy and straight forward.. You can contact Tucson (125.1) to come through their airspace or simply stay above 6600'msl and come across above the Class C. I am based in Benson (E95) and they have the cheapest gas ($.495/ga) in this area so this is something to consider.
Marana Airport (KAVQ) is a great but sometimes busy airport. It is un-towered and there is some training that occurs daily there. The CEMENT PLANT is the entry point for the airport so look for that, it is next to I-10 just SE of the airport.
The airport offers plenty of space on the ramp for tie-downs. There is a restaurant on the field and it is GREAT! You will not have any issues here at Marana.
Good Luck!

Good info! Thank you, Ken & Bill. Fuel stop in Benson is a must do.
I’m leaning toward the Marana option at the moment. Looking forward to my first Tucson visit!

The CEMENT PLANT is the entry point for the airport so look for that, it is next to I-10 just SE of the airport.
Just to clarify, the cement plant (depicted on the sectional as "Rillito Cement Plant") is the initial reporting point when VFR and runway 12 is active. 12 is the calm wind runway. If 30 is active, it is right traffic and the reporting point is the town of Marana (the word "Marana" in blue on the sectional). RWYs 3-21 are rarely used and mostly for when the crosswind component of 12-30 gets to be high. I'm based at La Cholla Airpark, just to the east of Marana.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 1.22.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 1.22.39 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Just to clarify, the cement plant (depicted on the sectional as "Rillito Cement Plant") is the initial reporting point when VFR and runway 12 is active. 12 is the calm wind runway. If 30 is active, it is right traffic and the reporting point is the town of Marana (the word "Marana" in blue on the sectional). RWYs 3-21 are rarely used and mostly for when the crosswind component of 12-30 gets to be high. I'm based at La Cholla Airpark, just to the east of Marana.
Just follow the interstate (I-10) into the Tucson area and continue following I-10 NW to Marana Regional (KAVQ). You will avoid the mountains that way.

Back