What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tubes……

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
So second flat on my 8A on the right main. Original tube from when I got it was replaced in the field when I had a flat with an 11/4-5 short 90* cuz that was all I had. Figured it was ok as it had been a few months,walked into the hangar the other day to a flat.

What makes these things worth 70 more bucks for a 5-5.00 vs a 11/4-5 other than a TR67 long valve stem? Anyone found a solution or just take it up the butt for a tube?

Are you using lawnmower tubes on your RV-8? Did I read that correctly? You can do as you please, but a failure on landing could make for a very bad day and mess up your wheel pants. And maybe your other pants.

I think you'll find many people on this forum overwhelmingly are fans of the Michelin Airstop tubes. They're a little more expensive than some of the other options out there, but they hold pressure for a good long time.

Tire pressure

It is important to check tire pressure before flight.
If to low pressure, the tire will move on the wheel
when landing. I use 40 psi.

Good luck

Nose wheel flats

This is interesting. I've never had a problem with my mains, but I've had 4 flat tires on my 7A's nosewheel. I carry a spare tube now everywhere I go because that size is uncommon and hard to find out in the field. Ask me how I know.

Back