What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak servo / head compatibility?

blaplante

Well Known Member
I'm not very familiar with TruTrak products... helped one guy install a Pictoral Pilot w/ ALT hold.

There seems to be a plethora of TruTrak heads... Pictoral Pilot, ADI 2, Gemini, 385, xCruise, etc.

Servos - "basic servo B", "DSB-B", and did I see "DSB-C"?

I've looked at several manuals and not found the info I need:

Question - what servos will work for pitch & roll in a two seat RV?
And what servos work with what head units? Will the servos from say a Pictoral Pilot and ALTRAK work with all of the heads?

There is an earlier thread where Andrew (Trutrak now Honeywell) said that the Trutrak servos work across the product line. I have the same servos I installed in 2007 and have updated the control head through the ADI I, ADI II, Gemini (xCruze 110), and am about to switch to the Vizion 385, and have never had to change the servos.
Just a data point.
Figs

Thanks! Very helpful!

Anyone else, it appears the DSB-B and DSP-B servos are correct size for 2 seat RV?
And a DSP is a Pitch servo?

Oddly, I see an ALTRAK for sale that comes with a DSB-B servo...

So... can that 'roll' servo work with the old Pictoral Pilot Altrak?
But then it can't be used with a newer head (ADI, Vizion, etc.)?

If I recall correctly the pitch servo is trim sensing so that the autopilot can give an alert for "out of trim" conditions in pitch. I dont think that applies to the roll servo.
Figs

If I recall correctly the pitch servo is trim sensing so that the autopilot can give an alert for "out of trim" conditions in pitch. I dont think that applies to the roll servo.
Figs

The Trutrak servos are just that, servos only. Pitch and roll use the same type. Pitch trim sensing and climb rate (if applicable) are built into their respective control heads.

I’m running a Trutrak Digitrak A/P (roll control only) with an Alttrak (altitude hold only). Both use the B servo.

Also, Andrew can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think any Trutrak servo works with any Trutrak control head. The only difference between Trutrak servos is physical size, and the output touque.

Last edited:
If you are revising your instrumentation or installing a new panel, consider that most modern EFIS systems include software for autopilot control. (e.g. Garmin, AFS/Dynon). These also will connect to a separate panel mounted control head. And each system has their own servos.

I have the Garmin G3X system in my RV-10, with 3 axis autopilot and GMC 305 autopilot head. Works great!

Regards

Oddly, I see an ALTRAK for sale that comes with a DSB-B servo...

So... can that 'roll' servo work with the old Pictoral Pilot Altrak?
But then it can't be used with a newer head (ADI, Vizion, etc.)?

For future reference - the DSB-B servo can work for altitude hold (as in the ALTRAK), but you want a DSP servo (to give trim feedback) for the newer more capable heads. Hence an upgrade from the ALTRAK would require a servo change.

If you are revising your instrumentation or installing a new panel, consider that most modern EFIS systems include software for autopilot control. (e.g. Garmin, AFS/Dynon). These also will connect to a separate panel mounted control head. And each system has their own servos.

I have the Garmin G3X system in my RV-10, with 3 axis autopilot and GMC 305 autopilot head. Works great!

Regards

Above is true, and likely will save you $1K over a stand-alone autopilot. But if you plan to fly IFR, you cannot count the autopilot as a redundant instrument if it fails when the efis fails. You can get back to the same level of redundancy by adding a mini-EFIS, for about $1K! Lots of options. If you’re strictly vfr, efis-based autopilot is less expensive. Garmin, Dynon, GRT all offer them. For the record, I have a Trio Pro and, like everyone else, love my choice.

Stevea, I have the same setup as you. The Digitrak A/P (roll control only), and Altrak VS (pitch control only) but my pitch servo also sends trim signals. My Altrak VS button flashes fast for trim up and slow for trim down. I plan on changing my A/P control head to an XCruze 100 (controlling both servos) when I add my GPS175. All my research says I do not need to change servos.

I really love my Digitrak and Altrack VS. They work very well together but cannot fly instrument approaches. Currently, I have two G5's that are not connected to the A/P system. The A/P system is connected to my KMD150 and will fly any flight plan or direct-to location.

Stevea, I have the same setup as you. The Digitrak A/P (roll control only), and Altrak VS (pitch control only) but my pitch servo also sends trim signals. My Altrak VS button flashes fast for trim up and slow for trim down. I plan on changing my A/P control head to an XCruze 100 (controlling both servos) when I add my GPS175. All my research says I do not need to change servos.

I really love my Digitrak and Altrack VS. They work very well together but cannot fly instrument approaches. Currently, I have two G5's that are not connected to the A/P system. The A/P system is connected to my KMD150 and will fly any flight plan or direct-to location.
You know, not long after I posted #7 (above), my trusty Digitrak A/P decided to start intermittently stop working. Everything would be fine, until somewhere in the middle of a flight....and it would just decide to go off line. Power cycling sometimes reset things, until it eventually didn't. Did not find anything obviously wrong inside the unit (nothing burned, nothing broken, no dead bugs, etc.) I decided given its age (and no longer supported by Bendix King) to replace it with an xCruze 100.

Installing the xCruze took a bit of re-wiring to make it all work at the control head end. The servos are still the same TruTrak B servos installed originally. I also connected the xCruze to my uAvionix AV-30 which has the ability to send control commands and altitude setting to the xCruze. So the xCruze is controllable either through its front panel, or the AV-30. I'm still learning how to use the new setup, but my initial impression is that it is easier to "drive" the A/P using the AV-30 than with the xCruze panel. The AV-30 has a more consistent command entry sequence.

Back