What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder & ADS-B Out Not Transmitting

Catbird

Well Known Member
First Generation RV-12 completed in 2012 with Dynon Skyview Classic. ADS-B Out was installed a couple of years ago but has never worked. As a matter of fact, neither has the transponder. I spent around 30 minutes on the phone with Dynon tech support a few days ago in the cockpit scrolling through the setup menus. Everything appears to be fine with no errors. But when I fly toward controlled airspace, the controllers cannot see me. I'm just not transmitting, except by radio. Flightaware and FAA adsb performance websites always come up with nothing.

Does anyone have an idea where to begin troubleshooting this problem? I paid quite a bit for this system and would just like to make it work.

antenna?

check your transponder antenna. the ADS-B out data is sent by the transponder. early on, i bumped my antenna, and it broke the connection.

-nick

Transponder installation normally includes a functional check so it's strange that the fault wasn't detected at that time?
+1 for checking the antenna coax cable for continuity and no shorts.

As the other responders said, the Dynon clone Trig TT-22 transponder is the adsb-out transmitter too, so adsb-out is guaranteed to fail if the transponder fails. Agree with others, double check coax, antenna, connectors. IIRC the TT22 uses a somewhat uncommon TNC (not BNC) connector, make sure it’s properly assembled.
Transponders are required to be checked every two years. Are you saying this unit has been in service for 10 years and never checked?
Edit: Also, what did you mean by ‘flying toward controlled airspace’? These days, unless you are always at 1200’agl or lower, it’s near impossible to avoid controlled airspace, e.g., class E.

Last edited:
FWIW; In the US you must use the DYNON-261 transponder not the DYNON-262 transponder. In 2012 you could use the DYNON-262 transponder and both were available but that changed years ago. I built my system in 2012 and used the 261 for my installation.

But as others have said, if your transponder is not working your ADS-B OUT won't work.

Last edited:
Back