What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To Paint, or Not To Paint? That is the question.

Due to some recent life changes, I’m seriously considering selling my beloved 2020 RV-14A. The plane is top-end in every regard from the full Garmin dual G3X Touch IFR panel, to the upgraded engine mounts, dual P-Mags, alternators and EarthX batteries, and the Vetterman exhaust. The interior is immaculate and fully painted as are all of the interior parts (mostly with 2 part epoxy).

The only thing I’ve not yet done is the exterior paint. It’s been hangared and the Alclad looks as good as it did the day it first flew, so I’ve been in no hurry to get it painted (in part, because my dream paint scheme might not to be everyone’s tastes). So the question is - should I get it painted with a more generic paint scheme before I put it on the market? A quality, if bland, paint job would certainly increase the number of potential buyers, but, for the right buyer, having a blank canvas they can use to make the plane their own could actually make the plane more valuable. So, paint or not? And if not, what price adjustment (either or up or down) would be appropriate?

TU

If I were in your shoes, I'd leave it as a blank canvas. Paint jobs from a commercial shop that is decent would probably start around $22k and go up from there. I had my 2020 RV14 painted at a commercial shop, I supplied all the paint, paper and masking and still pain $17k. Evoke quoted $25k and I would have had to wait a year before there was an available slot. Just because there is no paint job on the plane, don't discount the price by $20k to $25k. As we all know, kit costs have significantly increased, engine cost has increased, prop costs have increased, and on & on & on. You are offering a 'naked' quality equipped plane that would probably command around $300k, plus or minus a wee bit. The plane is only worth what someone is willing to pay; however, lack of a paint job should not be a reason to significantly drop the price. My 2 cents.

Flip a coin. Some in the market want a painted airplane, they don’t want to wait. Some want the paint 100% their design and colors and would love a naked airframe. These bracket all those folks who would accept a certain paint job, and others who wouldn’t.

If it was me, I would try to sell it as is and see how it goes. I wouldn’t discount it much for lack of paint. You can negotiate if it becomes a sticky issue with a serious buyer. There’s a market for a lighter polished airplane too.

Sorry you have to make this choice but good luck in your sale.

Flip a coin. Some in the market want a painted airplane, they don’t want to wait. Some want the paint 100% their design and colors and would love a naked airframe. These bracket all those folks who would accept a certain paint job, and others who wouldn’t.

If it was me, I would try to sell it as is and see how it goes. I wouldn’t discount it much for lack of paint. You can negotiate if it becomes a sticky issue with a serious buyer. There’s a market for a lighter polished airplane too.

Sorry you have to make this choice but good luck in your sale.
I would keep it un painted. Mine is currently on the market and it is priced reasonably I believe and it hasn’t been getting much interest because of the color choices. But who knows. I think the market might be a little stagnant to though

I would keep it un painted. Mine is currently on the market and it is priced reasonably I believe and it hasn’t been getting much interest because of the color choices. But who knows. I think the market might be a little stagnant to though
Good feedback from someone on the front lines…..

Agree. And hang in there!

Absolutely do not paint it. With everything top of the line Garmin, the person you should be targeting is someone not looking for a bargain basement deal, rather a buyer that wants top of the line equipment and knows the value of what you have. That buyer is going to want to be able to choose the design and quality of the paint job

I'm a fan of not painting. I spend about 12 hours over two days polishing my 7A once a year.
A shiny airplane always attracts attention wherever it goes.

Paint. white with simple strip. I would not buy a top of the line airplane and then either delay flying it by putting it in paint for several months or fly my brand new top of the line plane only looking like it is half done.

I would go with a blank slate. I sold my -10 two years ago. Top of the line plane, painted Lamborghini purple and Screaming Yellow. I loved it, but the rest of the world was split 50-50. Some loved it, others hated it.

Whether you go with an entry level paint job, or show quality, it is going to take time and money. Just like fixing up a house before you sell it, there is a good chance you will not recover your costs. At some point, the market will cool (it always does). You don't want to still own this plane when that happens

Paint or no paint, slider or tip up, tri cycle or tail dragger.

It's all personal preference.

Back