What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up eye bolt AN43B-16 trim detail

rsr3

Well Known Member
Has anybody else found the trim detail for the AN43B-16 on drawing 47 to be inaccurate? I’ve just installed mine (trimmed to plans) to find that the bolts are not long enough to engage the canopy frame. If I hadn’t trimmed them at all, the length would have been perfect. It’s a bit frustrating!

Looks like I will make my own pins on the lathe. Not much posted if I search for AN43B - I can’t be the only one?

I think I might still have those bolts left over from my RV7 tipper. I did not use them as I did not install the release mechanism.

If I can find them, you can have them.

Thanks chaps, very kind of you to offer help. I’m across the pond so will order some from here, but appreciate it all the same. A bit like pushrod lengths, I wish they wouldn’t make them to a 64th” accuracy only for it then to be spec’d up to bespoke measurements!

I ended up buying longer AN43B bolts, so that after the threads were cut off there was enough length to go through the entire canopy hinge (fuselage fixed ends, and canopy hinge. Don’t remember the length I bought…..Spruce can help you there.

That was a very inexpensive way to learn to measure and confirm when you can. One measurement of it's final location, and understanding what it is to do, will provide you with the correct measurement. If it doesn't match Van's measurement, then one is wrong..... at least cut the long measurement first.

Control rods are a little harder to confirm length. But it is worth the time to confirm.

I’ve actually only fitted one end to my control rods so far for exactly this reason!

Never mind. One of these days I’ll have the patience to measure twice, cut once….

Don't cut the bolts at the end of the shank

Funnily enough, I've been working on exactly this part of my RV7 this weekend as well.

For me the shank of the bolt is exactly the right length to go through the both ribs and both UHMW blocks/spacers. My threads started about 1/16th past the rib.

Looking at the drawing it seems that Vans don't want any modification to the shank. All I did was cut about 2/3's of the threaded portion off with a hacksaw then file down the threads to make the remaining threads a smooth bullet shaped pin.

I 100% agree with the 64ths measuring of the rods, utterly pointless as it needs to be measured with everything in place.

I have since revisited the plans to discover how I could be so far out and it seems that the measurements are somewhat unconventional for the part - they only show the length between the hole centres for the pins rather than the length of the entire part. I cut my tubes to the length between the pins rather than the length between the pins plus the two 1/4" inches extra at each end. Bugger!!

I have since revisited the plans to discover how I could be so far out and it seems that the measurements are somewhat unconventional for the part - they only show the length between the hole centres for the pins rather than the length of the entire part. I cut my tubes to the length between the pins rather than the length between the pins plus the two 1/4" inches extra at each end. Bugger!!
I did the same thing! I think I’m just going to get 1/2” longer pins rather than re-fab the steel tubes. Those were a pain to slot!

I used the longer of the two tubes to remake the shorter one the correct length and ordered a new length of tube from a local supplier to make the longer one correctly. All is well again! Another lesson learnt that will no doubt be forgotten just in time for me to do it again next time!

Back