What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Cowl fitting

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I've been working on the cowl. Got the top set up nicely. Musta been on and off at least 50 times. I should note I'm using Skybolt fasteners so I had the added work of making the mounting plates.

I began the process of fitting the bottom (7). Got the gear leg clearance holes set up and began trying to fit the cowl to the top. Nothing fit right on the front end.

Long story short, make the cowl fit together before even starting the process. I used my Dremel to grind away lots of extra material where it comes together at the nose ring and front sides. Grind, fit, grind fit, grind fit. This took about 30 minutes. Once done the cowl fit together nicely.

Darwin N. Barrie
P19

Would you happen to have any pics of how you did the Skybolt fasteners? Want to go that route myself!

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Skybolts

Haven't gotten that far yet. That starts tomorrow. If you go to their website you can down load the instructions. The instructions don't do much for you though. I'm fortunate that my next door neighbor has an 8 with Skybolts, so I just go next door and look things over.

Darwin

Back