What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tie Down Rings

HEB1022

I keep my 12 hangared, and have removed the tie down rings from the wing, except when I need tie down. When i do use them, I typically thread them about 3/4 of the way in to avoid scratching the wings. I wanted to try attaching a Gopro to the ring, but concerned it might vibrate loose. Should I screw it in fully, or is there another technique to secure it?

Thanks in advance!

Harry

You can cut a piece of 3/8" rubber hose that is slightly longer than what is needed to prevent your rings (or camera mount) from bottoming against the wing. Slip the hose on the ring (mount) shank and tighten down until the hose acts like a lock washer to hold the ring (or camera mount) firmly in place.

Someone suggested inserting a hex-drive setscrew to a pre-determined depth and then screw in the eye bolt and tighten (jam) against the set screw.

I like it...

I leave a tail tie-down ring all the time, and mount a camera to that with a standard camera mount from NFlight. I also use their plate mount mounted in a couple of my wingtip screws for a 360 pole or their ball head mount.

I leave my Cleaveland wing tie downs on permanently seeing, no reason to ever remove them.

Nylon washer

Many ways to do this.

If your wingtip is attached with screws, this works well.
https://planearound.com/shop/ols/products/wingtip-mount-requires-tie-down-mount
I have used this mount with my Insta360 also with good results.

For best results with a 360 camera, I would recommend a pole mount. Can be made from
leftover parts in your bin, but if you want the quick and easy (and expensive), here's what I've
used.
https://flightflix.aero/collections/360-camera-mounts/products/maui-flight-surface-pole-mount

If you want to use the tie down insert, just put a nylon washer and a lock nut on the shaft and thread it in and lock it.

Attachments

• corkscrewscreenshot.jpg
    corkscrewscreenshot.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Set screw

Someone suggested inserting a hex-drive setscrew to a pre-determined depth and then screw in the eye bolt and tighten (jam) against the set screw.

I like it...

What Jim ^ said. Buy a 3/8-16 hex socket set screw from McMaster. Better yet, buy a bunch and sell the others to recover your costs. Lots of builders would buy three each.
Install it exactly where you want. Remove while counting turns. Reinstall with Blue Loctite so it won't vibrate out of position.

You can cut a piece of 3/8" rubber hose that is slightly longer than what is needed to prevent your rings (or camera mount) from bottoming against the wing. Slip the hose on the ring (mount) shank and tighten down until the hose acts like a lock washer to hold the ring (or camera mount) firmly in place.

Great idea!

I know my question is off topic but what Go Pro camera is preferred for mounting? I'd like to mount one on my tail tie down...

I know my question is off topic but what Go Pro camera is preferred for mounting? I'd like to mount one on my tail tie down...

The hot camera right now is the Insta 360 Ace Pro. I've been using 360 degree cameras for awhile and they're fantastic. I'll never buy a GoPro again.

Last edited:
I leave a tail tie-down ring all the time, and mount a camera to that with a standard camera mount from NFlight. I also use their plate mount mounted in a couple of my wingtip screws for a 360 pole or their ball head mount.

I leave my Cleaveland wing tie downs on permanently seeing, no reason to ever remove them.

Have you been happy with the NFlight camera mount?

I keep my 12 hangared, and have removed the tie down rings from the wing, except when I need tie down. When i do use them, I typically thread them about 3/4 of the way in to avoid scratching the wings. I wanted to try attaching a Gopro to the ring, but concerned it might vibrate loose. Should I screw it in fully, or is there another technique to secure it?

Thanks in advance!

Harry
I use a "O" ring under the shoulder of the tie down ring. Works well, stays put.

Back