What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Texas Formation Clinic, 12-14 Jun, at KBWD

Stu McCurdy

Well Known Member
We are conducting the Texas Formation Clinic at Brownwood Airort (KBWD) on 12-14 Jun. Participants should have excellent stick and rudder
skills, have aircraft in excellent condition, have dual controls, intercomm, PTT in other cockpit, and have NO VERNIER THROTTLES.

By signing up, you agree to HOLD HARMLESS the organizers, briefers, safety pilots, flight leads, airport authorities, and any other persons involved in this clinic.

You can sign up for the clinic and find additional info at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/09TexasClinic/

09 Texas Formation Clinic a Success

Thanks to all who participated in the 09 Texas Formation Clinic. Out of the 23 originally signed into the Database, 20 made it to Brownwood. Weather was bad for the Ohio contingent.

Rookie participants made it from Flagstaff AZ, Mesquite TX, Georgetown TX, Lawrenceville GA, and Orlando FL. Intermediates came from Olathe CO, Dumas AR, and Arlington TX. And we had great support from Falcon Flight regulars and Team RV from GA, SC, and NC. Kahuna came in as well as Speedy, who gave the Ground School portion. Thanks to all the FFI cardholders who helped lead, demonstrate, and act as safety pilots to assist the Rookies and Intermediates learn and improve. A clinic cannot be conducted without your unselfish contributions.

It is very gratifying to see well intended Rookies, aided by experienced formation pilots, progress from timidly getting up close to another airplane in flight to aggressively operating their airplane safely in formation, even soloing in 2 or 3 rides. And it is very satisfying to see Intermediates from previous clinic improve to passing wing evaluations (Devon and Woody).

Thanks to the City of Brownwood, its Chamber of Commerce, and the Airport staff who contributed use of their airport, services, and equipment, as well as a BBQ lunch, to made the clinic run well.

I think overall the clinic went well, despite the warm temperatures. We had a lot of good attitudes to assure that it kept flowing. Everyone showed on time, did what was needed to be done, like getting the planes out and on the line each morning and setting up chairs and tables, etc. And the camaraderie was superb. Some great stories told among good friends (new and old) at Humphry Pete's Steakhouse.

Last edited:
Wow!

I "audited" the clinic, so I didn't get the full experience. It was organized well, a great group of folks, and I very much enjoyed the back seat (thanks Stu and Bob) - except perhaps for the rejoins. I still can't figure out how leads can just sit there steady as a rock while the wingmen aim at them like missiles. I'm still looking for the target someone painted on my back. :eek:

A few pictures - mostly of our airplane of course.

Last edited:
Back