What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Summer home for RV-12 in SoCal?

LanceH

I'm New Here
Hi all,
Living in Las Vegas with an RV-12 on the ramp and looking to escape for the summer :) Would like to find a place in Southern Cal to fly and park her in July and August, ideally with nice afternoon/evening flying weather. Options I'm considering are:
  • Big Bear - closest to LV and cooler but wx looks windy and turbulent much of the time.
  • Camarillo/Oxnard - calm but often IFR or LIFR
  • El Monte - Wx looks good and RV-12 mechanic at the field
Any recommendations or comments on these? Thanks.

CMA and Oxnard are usually VFR during those months.

Santa Paula is a little further inland from CMA and a nice small airport and not crowded in the afternoons

You might give Whiteman airport a call if you're looking for a hangar. They may have a small tee available. Also a short Uber ride from KBUR if you want to fly commercial in from LV. But it's in the San Fernando Valley, and can be as hot as LV. I'd avoid Van Nuys

You might also look at El Monte, Pomona, and Cable (Upland) as well.

Laird
KWHP

Long Beach has tie-downs available for $135/month. Let me know if interested and I can fix you up.

-Marc

Whatever airport you choose, make sure it's reasonably close to where you will be staying. You don't want to waste time sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic on a SoCal freeway when you're trying to get to the airport for a late-afternoon/early-evening flight.

El Monte

They are kicking out storage people so hangers become available on a regular basis. I am hangared there. Never to busy and a great restaurant.

Back