What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

suggestion of a High temp tape?

riobison

Well Known Member
Would anyone have a suggestion of a High temp tape for temporarily sealing off vents in the baffles such as to the cabin heater etc?.

Would probably need to withstand the radiant heat from the cylinder head temps.

Thanks

Tim

Aluminum foil duct tape

I routinely remove my heater during the summer, actually, now that I’m in Florida I tend to have it off about 9 months of the year. I seal the hole in the baffle with 2 layers of aluminum foil tape. The same stuff that is used on HVAC systems. One layer of tape would probably do the job.

I sticks well and comes off fairly easily when I want to re-install the heater.

Any specific brand? A lot of what I have looked at is only rated to 150 deg f or so. I would think those baffles would get over 300+ at least on the ground.

Thanks
Tim

Any specific brand? A lot of what I have looked at is only rated to 150 deg f or so. I would think those baffles would get over 300+ at least on the ground.

Thanks
Tim

The aluminized tape holds up very well. Besides, if it fails in a couple of years, you just replace it…

Powder Coating Masking Tape

3M makes products for the Powder Coating industry that can handle 400*F working temps, if you are really concerned about elevated temps on shutdown from stagnated air.

HFS

I went with 3M 2113NA High-Temperature Flue Tape, 1.5" X 5 yd Silver, 1 Roll/Pack from Amazon.

The flue tape is heat resistant up to 600-degree f.

Tim

Surprisingly, the 3M duct tape works ok for a while.

Eventually it goes gooey and falls off (after a couple of hundred hours) but if you're looking for a short term solution it works fine. A local guy has it applied to his baffle seals and it survives there without any problems.

Back