What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing Fuel Pump

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
Replaced the Tempest fuel pump on my 7A O360. Original works fine (long story) so I’d like to keep it as a spare. Do I need to do anything other than clean it up, put it in the box, and set it on the shelf? TIA

I’d give Tempest a call and ask them - they’ve got a bunch of good engineers there that shoudl be able to answer the question with authority!

Replaced the Tempest fuel pump on my 7A O360. Original works fine (long story) so I’d like to keep it as a spare. Do I need to do anything other than clean it up, put it in the box, and set it on the shelf? TIA

bad idea. I bought a pump with a couple hundred hours that came with a complete FI set up, but it sat for a couple of years. Worked when taken off the old plane but failed within 2 hours after I installed it. My experience has been that when a moving rubber diaphragm part has been used for a while then sits for a while, it is very prone to failure. Very different than an unused part that sits for a long while.

YMMV, but I exercise caution.

Larry

Back