What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stall horn

[email protected]

I'm New Here
I recently purchased an RV-14. There is an AOA on the dash, but the stall horn is turned off or just doesn't work. The plane did aerobatics is why I think it was turned off. Can anyone help me with how to turn the stall horn on or get it to work.

Need more info

I recently purchased an RV-14. There is an AOA on the dash, but the stall horn is turned off or just doesn't work. The plane did aerobatics is why I think it was turned off. Can anyone help me with how to turn the stall horn on or get it to work.

I think the group will need more data (Or at least I will) AOA on the dash?? Whose AOA?? Stall horn turned off?? What does that mean?? Has it been calibrated?? What does the previous owner say? With Experimentals that is your best source of information. Flying a new airplane without a functional stall warning is not advised.

Stall warning....

Flying a new airplane without a functional stall warning is not advised.

Oh, dear. I had to stare at this for quite a while debating whether to say something or not. I probably have 40-50 hours in airplanes with a stall warning horn. Every time it would go off it would freak me out! What the heck is THAT??:eek: Oh, yeah: the stall warning horn! BeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!:eek::rolleyes:

Is it a handy thing to have on an airplane one is not familiar with? I suppose. The Cub doesn't have one. I had all of 22 hours total time when I bought the Cub at the ripe old age of 21; a long time ago! There was no such thing as a stall warning back in 1946 when she first took to the air; at least not on Cubs. That airplane taught me how to fly! Seat-of-the-pants kind of stuff.

I never thought of having one on SuzieQ. AOA wasn't available. And our early hours together went quite well without one and have gone very well since. And all the early hours in my new, never-been-flown airplane were done by me; no one else has flown her. I would still go out and do slow flight and different types of stalls just to get the feeling of what the airplane is telling me. AOA? Haven't considered it. My stall warning: go out and do a bunch of stalls. What is the airplane telling me? What does it look like? What does it feel like? Can an airplane stall without the stall warning going off? Yes. My reliance on what is going on in the airplane is secondary to what is going on outside the airplane. It seems like there has been an increased reliance on the fancy instruments we have access to and less so of the Great Art of Flying the Airplane. IMHO; Nomex underwear in place!

Get out your popcorn.........!!;) Mine is buttered and has cheddar sprinkles on it.....:)

Do you have the stall vane installed on your rv14 wing? It’s the same in all certificated airplane. Is the wiring installed to the stall vane and the wire leads to the cockpit? You can check by open up the access cover right below the stall vane.

If you have all of these, check to see you have the stall horn warning is installed. If the stall horn isn’t installed the you can’t hear anything even when there is a wire lead.

If you don’t have a cockpit stall horn, you can purchase one from the Vans store.
Ask an AP to install it if you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself.

Take a few pictures and post them as attachment to your reply so we all know what you are looking at.

I checked all that was suggested. Finally went into Configurations and found the Sound was turned off. All good and works. I guess go for the simple obvious before digging deep.
Thanks to all.

Back