What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sloped garage

JMyers1

My garage has a slope, I think 1/4" per foot I assume for drainage. I've read about how important and convenient it is to have a level floor, or at least a level workbench. I have one car I am trying to keep in the garage as much as I can. My plan is to have a 4x7 and 4x5 foot workbenches on wheels, putting them together when needed for larger parts. Since they are on wheels when I am done working I can then push them against the wall to park my car.

Has anyone else in this situation figured out an easy way to level the workbenches? Since I may only have an hour or less sometimes, if I have to spend 5 minutes leveling the workbenches with blocks or screw feet every time that could get annoying.

Not Important

I haven’t found “level” to be important at all when it comes to workbenches. You want a flat surface to work on, but parts don’t care whether or not that flat surface is actually level. My garage slopes pretty significantly in multiple directions. I simply throw a shim under the legs of my benches to keep them solid and without a wobble, but other than that, I don’t spend any effort at all to level them.

Level

I never found a task where level work surface was necessary.
Except
Assembling wings. I used two jigs. Both wings were level both directions
Assembling control surfaces. I also used a jig on the work bench and shimmed it so the part was level to verify no twist.
Fuse work. The fuse was leveled both ways many times for various jobs. Usually saw horses were shimmed but later I used all sorts of shim methods.
My garage also has slope.

Agree with previous comments. Level isn't nearly as important as "Flat"

To cure the wobbles or get two tables flush when they are next to each other, I keep a some carpentry shims laying around and kick an appropriate amount under a table leg as needed. They are only about $2 per pack and also come in handy to help level the fuselage sawhorses when you get to that point.

Every garage is sloped unless built by a shoddy builder.

Rain and snow melt need to drain out as well as not having outside water making its way inside.

Back