What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL-40 vs. XCOM 760

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm trying to decide between these two radios, the SL-40
pt-SL40Large.jpg

and the XCOM 760
xcom-overall.jpg

They look like they have about the same specs. The XCOM is a bit smaller and a bit cheaper. It also seems to have a pretty good VOX intercom.

I know there are not many people out there that have used both, but who knows. Thanks for any feedback.

Sl-40

I love my SL-40....I feel like I have two comms for a little more than the price of one and no audio panel.
Bob Martin

Bob Martin said:
I feel like I have two comms for a little more than the price of one
This is exactly what attracts me to these two radios. Both allow you to monitor a second frequency, which I really like. There are airstrips about every 10 minutes where I live, and it's nice to be able to listen on the local frequency for activity while remaining in contact with "flight following".

SL-40 no comparison

Th SL-40 puts out twice as many watts (10 vs. 5). Also I am not sure about the X-com but the SL-40 allows you to listen and talk in one frequency and monitor a second freq, like a two comms. Like Bob said this is like having two radios. I do not know of any other comm that does this. Also the SL-40 can be set up to get freqs from a GPS (Garmin Apollo).

Cheers George

Last edited:
George said:
the SL-40 allows you to listen and talk in one frequency and monitor a second freq
This is cool. The XCOM does do this. I didn't notice the power output difference. Good to know!

Don't quote me on this, but a dude (non-employee) at the Garmin booth at Osh told me the 396 will send freq's to the SL-30 and SL-40. My disclaimer is that I haven't used any of the three and just passing along scuttlebutt that I heard. If true, would be another nice reason to buy the 396. Other than the built-in fishfinder of course! :)

Take care,

Jim

gmcjetpilot said:
....Also the SL-40 can be set up to get freqs from a GPS (Garmin Apollo).

jimrobinette said:
Don't quote me on this, but a dude (non-employee) at the Garmin booth at Osh told me the 396 will send freq's to the SL-30 and SL-40. My disclaimer is that I haven't used any of the three and just passing along scuttlebutt that I heard. If true, would be another nice reason to buy the 396. Other than the built-in fishfinder of course! :)

Take care,

Jim
Works with the -30... probably -40 as well: http://www.vansairforce.net/delete_eventually/396330SL30Interface.ppt

FishFinder?

REALLY???? Way cool! I gotta see this work from 15 feet at 120 knots. Those guys at Garmin are on the ball. We need to get Van to make a trolling attachment.

I thought the Pioneer in my truck was great when it could find every Hooters along I-95. I need new toys! :)

jimrobinette said:
Don't quote me on this, but a dude (non-employee) at the Garmin booth at Osh told me the 396 will send freq's to the SL-30 and SL-40.

Yep, it sure does. You can pick a frequency on the 396 and press enter to send it into the standby slot on the radio. It also automatically feeds a handy list of frequencies to the radio for quick selection, based on your current route and proximity to nearby airports. Works with both the SL30 and SL40. :)

mcb
RV-7 elevators

Don't know a thing about the Xcom, but I love my SL-40. Great reception and transmission.

JMHO
Roberta

SL30/40 Intercom and Loudspeaker

For my sixpenneth worth, I find the idea of being able to change, on the intercom function, the VOX gains (mic squelch threshold) independently for the two mic's, a very useful feature. My two headsets are completely different setting for opening intercom mute. Many of the intercoms change both mic gains at the same time and some sets put both mics on together.

The other feature I like on my SL30 is that when the intercom is switched off via the 'optional' disable switch the Loudspeaker is enabled.
This is good for listening to what's going on with the cans off whilst working on the aircraft or just sitting in it as I so often do.
The SL40 has the same features according to the specs.

(RV-6, 90% complete 90% to go)

Back