What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky Designs Engineering In Floor Storage Containers

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
When Ken and Susan from Sky Designs Engineering dropped off their ER fuel tanks for my RV-14 a couple weeks ago, Ken told me about their new in floor storage containers for the -10 and -14. These add a little more storage under the floor of the baggage compartment and prevent things from sliding around.

They had it in stock and shipped it right out. Ken and Susan do a fantastic job packing the items they sell. I don't have the fuselage kit to install them in yet but I thought I'd share them here in case anybody is interested.

Here is the link:
https://www.skydesigns.aero/rv-10-rv-14-storage-container-kit

Attachments

• Storage 1.jpg
    Storage 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
  • Storage 2.jpg
    Storage 2.jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Cool

I did this with my -10 five years ago. The only issue I have found is if you are carpeting the baggage area, it covers the storage space and you have to lift the carpet to access them. Also, the one on the passenger side is difficult to reach in the -10… it’s a bit of a stretch.

Thank you Brian for letting us know your kit arrived in good order. Susan is the one who is a stickler for putting it all together - heck, if it were up to me, it would be all thrown into a single bag.

We placed the containers as far inboard as possible for the very reason you, Bob, mention - ease of access. The attached screenshot of the install instructions cover sheet shows the placement of the containers. As for having to lift the carpet to gain access...I suppose it wouldn't be so difficult to make a cut-out in the carpet. Besides, does your baggage really need wall to wall shag carpet? ;-)

Attachments

• 11 - RV-10 Storage Container Assembly & Installation Instructions.JPG
    11 - RV-10 Storage Container Assembly & Installation Instructions.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 207
Thank you Brian for letting us know your kit arrived in good order. Susan is the one who is a stickler for putting it all together - heck, if it were up to me, it would be all thrown into a single bag.

We placed the containers as far inboard as possible for the very reason you, Bob, mention - ease of access. The attached screenshot of the install instructions cover sheet shows the placement of the containers. As for having to lift the carpet to gain access...I suppose it wouldn't be so difficult to make a cut-out in the carpet. Besides, does your baggage really need wall to wall shag carpet? ;-)

I think its great that you made this into a kit! That location is where I put mine, too. I opted to have the hinge on the side that allows the door to be opened away from the baggage door. This allows me to see what is in the storage space without trying to look over the open door.

As for the carpet in the baggage area, having it there seems to help preserve the baggage floor when loading roll aboard suitcases and various other baggage items. I painted my baggage area floor and in the 18 months I didn't have carpet there, their floor took a beating.

As for the wall to wall shag carpeting..."Yeah, Baby!"

Quick note on the carpet. We've made access openings in our baggage carpets many times over the years for this same modification. The edges are all surged like the rest of the carpet for a finished look. I'm sure any of the other interior companies could also provide this option as well. btw, nice looking kit Ken.

Quick note on the carpet. We've made access openings in our baggage carpets many times over the years for this same modification. The edges are all surged like the rest of the carpet for a finished look.

That's good to hear Luke. I'm planning on getting the interior for my RV-14A from you and I was wondering if you'd be able to modify the baggage area carpet for these storage containers.

-Brian

Quick note on the carpet. We've made access openings in our baggage carpets many times over the years for this same modification. The edges are all surged like the rest of the carpet for a finished look. I'm sure any of the other interior companies could also provide this option as well. btw, nice looking kit Ken.

Definitely an option.

When we take the -10, we typically slide two roll aboards in the baggage area; not sure how the holes in the carpeting would stand up.

I typically keep tie down ropes and some tools in my storage area, so I don’t need to access them often. I used a narrow piece of Velcro near the baggage door to secure the carpet edge. When I need to get in there I just roll the carpet over.

Definitely an option.

When we take the -10, we typically slide two roll aboards in the baggage area; not sure how the holes in the carpeting would stand up.

I typically keep tie down ropes and some tools in my storage area, so I don’t need to access them often. I used a narrow piece of Velcro near the baggage door to secure the carpet edge. When I need to get in there I just roll the carpet over.

We haven't done this on a 10 (we don't currently make RV-10 products), so I'm not sure how it would hold up. Since RV-6/7/9/14 baggage compartments are accessed from the top rather than the side (baggage door), it may be less of a concern. Good point to consider though.

Last edited:
We haven't done this on a 10 (we don't currently make RV-10 products), so I'm not sure how it would hold up. Since RV-6/7/9/14 baggage compartments are accessed from the top rather than the side (baggage door), it may be less of a concern. Good point to consider though.

Yes, my concern would be snagging the edge of the carpet while loading the suitcases. In my case, the storage is used for stuff that I do not need continuous access to, so rolling the carpet up occasionally is no big deal.

Like Bob says, the floor gets scuffed up pretty good with regular use.
I recently put some carpet in the baggage area to address this.
I used some rubberized floor tile with a slot cut in it to access the battery charger Andersen plugs. The tie down bases hold the corners down.
The rubberizing seems to mean that the carpet holds up ok where it lifts to access them. Time will tell. I can get the local auto timer to serge the edges if required. I had considered the door edge. I’ll watch that. I’d thought of putting some adhesive stainless strip across that edge for scuff protection.

On the pilot side of the baggage compartment under the floor through an access panel I have some bus bars for the high current devices. Lights and pitot mainly.
So I can’t put the pilot side storage box in. I might ask Ken and Susan if I can just buy a copilot side box only I’m a bit sick of my bag with the spare oil etc floating around.

IMG_8259.jpg

IMG_8261.jpg

Inside Dimensions

Curious as what the inside dimensions are for the box...I like the idea of out of site storage.

Back