What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing Ballast

NeilMcLeod

As to Kevin Horten's question, no I didn't have any way to secure the ballast in the baggage compartment. I didn't see any really good way to secure 100 lbs of sand or anything else without some modifications to the airframe. So I endevoured not to hit anything hard. I would like to have some way to secure baggage back there.

I keep meaning to install some cargo tie down points back there, but haven't so far. I can tell you about the time during Phase I when I had three 40 lb bags of concrete back there, and did a spin - and in the entry, the airplane unloaded and got a little negative. There was a loud "Bang!" as the ballast hit the ceiling of the baggage compartment! I thought I'd lost the tail - very un-nerving, and I never had heavy ballast back there again without something at least wedged in (foam works) to keep it from shifting. Probably my scariest experience in Phase I, and my own fault - IO should have thought it through better!

(Of course, foam isn't going to secure it in a crash! I always buckle the rear harness when there is baggage and no one in the rear seat to keep stuff at least contained....)

Paul

I'm not sure how much ballast you need but when I fly a Citabria I have a cary bag that has 40 pounds in it and I fasten to the rear seat with the seat belts running one through the handle to make sure there is no way for it to shift. Easy to add and easy to remove.

My rule of thumb is to tie down anything that you wouldn't want hitting you in the back of the head if you had a ground accident. You can try as hard as you like to avoid a ground accident, but there are no guarantees. I recall recent ones due to brake problems and rabbit strikes.

I've installed four of the tie down points that Van sells on the floor of my baggage compartment, two forward and two aft. They are a bit pricey ($26 each), but I look at it as cheaper than life insurance. They are mounted above the baggage floor ribs. The included rivnuts would probably allow them to be installed on a completed aircraft, but it would be much better to install platenuts in the baggage floor ribs before permanently installing the aft baggage floor.

You can get tie down brackets at Home Depot. They are designed for pick up trucks but they work nicely in the baggage area. They are designed to be put in after the fact. You could even get a doubler plate in there to beef up the area.

Back