What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Savvy - "Oil control ring solvent flush" - Tool

AV8ER

Well Known Member
Now that the ATP ride is out of the way Skyscraper is getting some much earned love. I decided to perform the solvent flush but did not like the idea of spilling the balance of fluid out of the bottom spark plug hole at the end of the procedure for each cylinder. I came up with an idea and a good buddy (Thanks Tom!) offered to make me a modified spark plug/nipple that I could thread an extension and valve onto.

I'm not talking to the merit of the flush but rather the merit of the tool at the moment. I'll soon know if the flush was worth it or not, but I can certainly say that the tool was worth it! It worked great and left very little spillage. If you have someone pull the prop slightly back as your funnel begins to spill out of the upper spark plug hole during the cylinder filling process you will have zero spills. Not seen in the pictures I removed the Saf-Air oil drain to preserve the o-ring and placed a long funnel wedged below the drain hole into a 1 gallon bucket.

I threaded the tool into the bottom plug, brought each cylinder up on the compression stroke, used a socket extension to gauge where the piston was in the cylinder for commonality of fluid volume / to gauge how much fluid it would take to minimize spills, filled with fluid, screwed in top plug, and pulled the fluid through.

ADCreHd4LHKybVZXTDbdAf3i-ZPXSxRnTw6IqLriwj2PJdlq5bdwpy4wcOkALisXdVtTjOMjcavyxKGM0UNXvHj3Qr8xhR8F796_obMwC7nfgnsj0GZzfPzeEbOOALDW3yL_-yvyrCd5Dt4Y1QMgnOtbnwyTig=w850-h941

14mm auto plug "tool" with E-mag 18mm adapter

ADCreHdPW-WOYyeUlnyoAwQLyyGFwq9tB0YK42htuJezJoxRkal8k1Jmer4ybkHsDXtiY1RJcZypil__WFJXHo9cX8Nli5zM1laNbGeAbinHec_kQv8oidze7JaRvKPgvJ5O8GugsqMcVkT6L_82QGVTIFM2hQ=w850-h941

Home Depot shopping list.

ADCreHcURk5NRC3KElVayviBtzzDms0pz5IClHHWocgT9WJtZ28eTequ0vO0FTk18lvD8m6VL-HlIILDJjW_EXug3ge4brhDpdJgvvSi03NIKQiBTG10TuHOwWdgDZifGnjM9gMInmeQh_rSmWWKHDqnyYb-Ow=w850-h941

First cylinder to get the juice.

Back