What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

San Antonio Overnight Hangar/Tie Down

YellerDaisy

Well Known Member
My girlfriend and I are planning a short (couple day) trip to the San Antonia area - preferably the north side. Hoping to find someone with hangar space for an RV-4 for a night or two. Next best thing would be some advice as to which airport to fly into for tie down.

We a are clean, no smoking, no oil leaking combination. ;) Don't have a date yet but likely March/April time frame.

Thanks!

Stinson (KSSF), Boerne Stage (5C1), and Bulverde (1TT8) are all good options. Stinson is south but has plenty of tie down spots, easy access to rental cars, and you can even bike to downtown along the river. Boerne and Bulverde are north - need to check with their FBOs for the latest on fees and availability, I’ve never flown in there as a visitor but both are in good shape, easy to fly into, and relatively close to the north side / downtown. Not sure about hangar options, though.

For just a couple of days Boerne or Bulverde are kind of far from town. Both have landing fees and Boerne has an additional ramp fee.

Stinson is a nice historic airport 10-15 minutes south of downtown and likely has hangar space available. San Antonio International, Signature North, is convenient and 10 minutes from down town, likely hangar space too. Fees should be reasonable, but fuel is expensive. Kelly Field, once Kelly AFB, has an FBO plus Port San Antonio, and self serve with OK self serve fuel prices. Same 10 minutes west of down town, maybe a hangar.

Stinson would be neatest airport. Kelly Field would be the cheapest. San Antonio would be the most, but best if weather or at night. I would definitely call first on an a hangar. All are about the same distance from downtown. Let us all know how it works out.

GM

Thanks to both of you for the information - very helpful!

Trying for the northside as we're visiting friends that live north of town.

Landing and ramp fees?? Wow... I clearly live in the old west, a good reminder for me to stay there. 😞

I've sent an info request to Bulverde.

Thanks to both of you for the information - very helpful!

Trying for the northside as we're visiting friends that live north of town.

Landing and ramp fees?? Wow... I clearly live in the old west, a good reminder for me to stay there. 😞

I've sent an info request to Bulverde.
Stinson.

Back