What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV3 Spar Mod Help!

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I completed the modifications to my wings, but the inboard angle/doubler interferes with the fuselage and the wings won't go in. Do I carefully grind back the doubler or make a hole in the fuselage around the spar (the wrong place for a hole) to accommodate the angle?

Does anyone have pictures of an RV-3A with the wings off and if the fuselage has a hole or the wing root around the spar to see if the doublers is trimmed back?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Spar Mod

Bruce,
I don't recall an issue with the 3A I owned with the root rib angles,
definitely no hole in fuselage.
How much needs to be removed from angles if you do that, if not
much, seems the way to go.
With that said - run it by Van's

mg

Bruce,
I don't recall an issue with the 3A I owned with the root rib angles,
definitely no hole in fuselage.
How much needs to be removed from angles if you do that, if not
much, seems the way to go.
With that said - run it by Van's

mg

First, thanks to everyone! I will be taking pictures and posting them tonight.

So first, the SB2 has many "variances" based on your wing configuration. I do not have wing fuel tanks, and I have the extra root ribs aft of the spar called for in SB1. So that last root-most bay has a lot of ribs in it connecting to the spar already. So my "root-most" spar stiffener is on the forward side of the spar, and only this stiffener. The rest are aft.

On the right wing, before any grinding of the angle, it was maybe 1/4", I did grind most of that difference, but now I'm getting close to the bolt and I can just barely get the wing on, but the spar box sheet is bending (not badly, just a 1/2" pucker) to do it... ie it needs a bit more clearance. But I'm not sure how to get it.

On the left wing, it's much worse, maybe 1/2-5/8" interference. The original builder cut a small hole for the first spar bolt, which is half-way into the fuselage. So that side is the one I'm really worried about.

Right Wing (less interference, but still smooshed)

AJFCJaVE78ypsKjYJPl_Wz8hjuaHnWxhUzAgpUDbnO0flzUwmyDSLn-mmAJV5ujS8tyuFHbvgVyzOYJD7TgqIHM88Uit-57D-EE2PCEGHDXHvDRJFsKp4VIJCU1NiSKWYirB0O3CslrjMQFVNzDdNNejRNicZw=w853-h536

Left Wing (not even close)

AJFCJaVoOBQwJ-23Zt-VnSiSbYgENMOB7mVuh3WHYWqdWhZmkOyLHixSDcqNrgtNkGK-D84NB8fPRv90vNNdrgx39Y7M0crfSGttuTbIrFGPRgkdlmNUt8B7yztGAlrrdnrDBKeDTnVV-5wMew_zIY797llWHg=w1906-h1072

AJFCJaU_oSb27sAM0lBIyQtNTSQ1iExofwxSH-5y34em2aYOi2ia0Zd-m9ufYxRa-bJFrjoXu7zp2vqmyGs_pIWQ6PbQK1Z4rmjEgGM_mjCQMDCVbHJoxKjkADFBbf1D1QyXSjmqkF0Z4mvKVHNNjdGAwBdyzg=w1906-h1072

Generally, I'm just going to grind down the angle till it fits. On the right wing, it's pretty close, so a bit more grinding them it should fit without puckering the the spar box.

On the left wing, I will grind around the last bolt hole leaving as much meat on the angle as possible until it buts the fuselage. Then I'll need to enlarge the existing fuselage hole to accommodate the slightly longer bolt head and the metal around the angle ground out.

Basically, trim the mod AL angle to minimize the amount of fuselage metal removed.

Spar Mod

Bruce, do you have the plans detail of the spar and bulkhead to
check all dimensions
I would not damage the bulkhead to fuselage area.

mg

Back