What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14A - Scotland

Hey everyone, after a couple of years of going between building and not, I've decided to jump in! Order the tail & wings kits, hopefully the tail kit isn't too far away so I can start building.

At the moment I'm keeping busy with getting the workshop prepared, reading articles, watching YouTube and getting myself as prepared as possible. I've already completed the toolbox project, I have the wing section next, and then the light box.

I'm documenting as much of the build as I can on my blog, and will also record some videos for YouTube also!

Last edited:
Welcome to the club! I'm basically right where you are. I ordered my empennage kit in March. Still waiting on it. I noticed yesterday Vans updated their lead times on that kit from "1 month" to Sep/Oct. Probably because they want to replace laser cut parts prior to shipping.

I know the delay in getting my empennage kit has resulted in my getting a LOT more tools (in addition to the RV-14 tool kit from Cleaveland Tools). The more YouTube videos I watch, the more tools I find I need :)

Look forward to seeing your YouTube videos!

Oh good spot, I hadn't seen that update so glad you mentioned it! It was 1-month when I ordered a week or so ago, but I feared that there could be extended due to the laser cut parts issue. I've got the Cleveland tools arriving on Monday, and a light box practice kit arriving on Wednesday so I guess that will keep me busy!

Good luck with your build Matt. Judging by your workbenches, I think your RV handiwork is going to be first rate 🙂

Well, I've got the empennage kit, and around 30 parts are on backorder, but it's not stopping me from getting started, here's me holding my Rudder (which is misisng 2 ribs on backorder), got the stringers shaped, and things deburred etc.

I'm documenting over on my blog but I'll post the occasional milestone photo here :)

img_4534-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good!!!

I can't believe how fast you got your tail kit - in Scotland no less! I ordered mine in March and I'm still waiting - and I live 100 miles from the factory.

Thanks for following the website updates!! Good to know there’s people out there reading.

@bertschb - that doesn’t make sense, how have you not got your kit yet? Did you forget to pay them!!?

Back