What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Wheel Pants and Gear Fairings Refresh – Finally!

chrispratt

Well Known Member
After 19 years and 900+ hours, my wheel pants and gear fairings were much in need of some TLC. Landing on grass, or what passes for grass on some Texas strips, can do a number on the bottoms of the pants plus all the rocks, chocks and smashed bugs – it all adds up.

Hating fiberglass work as I do, I am grateful to Jay Pratt for recommending Flying Colors in Gainesville, TX for the job. They matched the original pattern perfectly and even added a little “pimple” on the inside of the left wheel pant to accommodate a rubbing brake caliper. (I’ve seen a number of RV-8s like mine where the brake caliper on one side or the other rubs a hole in the pant.)

I was able to supply the excess original paint from my 2005 paint job, and it still matches. According to my painter, definitely use new hardener and reducer though, as it doesn’t age as well as the paint. If you’ve checked the price of aircraft paint these days, you’ll understand why it’s a good idea to store any leftover from the original work especially with high solids colors such as red, but heck, even white is outrageously priced now.

1Assembled%20unit%20quartering%20angle-L.jpg

5Gear%20leg%20covers-L.jpg

4Fuse%20to%20Gear%20leg%20fairings-M.jpg

Refurbished wheel pants, gear leg fairings and wing-fuselage fairings. I can’t believe the paint looks so nice and shiny.

3Bottom%20of%20wheel%20pant-L.jpg

Here’s a look at the “pimple” that Flying Colors added to accommodate the fit around the brake caliper.

6Full%20view%20installed-L.jpg

Mounted back on the RV. Paint color matches perfectly after sitting in the can for 19 years.

I’m almost afraid to go flying now lest I scratch the new paint.

Chris

now would be the right time to apply some of that "prop tape", or whatever its called, to the LE of them fairings... sure thing I'll do when refreshing my seasoned fairings, should give some protection against those flying stones.

now would be the right time to apply some of that "prop tape", or whatever its called, to the LE of them fairings... sure thing I'll do when refreshing my seasoned fairings, should give some protection against those flying stones.
I'm placing UHMW tape (like you use to prevent the flaps from abrading against the underside of the wing skin when retracted) at the junctions of the wheel pants to the gear leg fairings and at the gear leg to fuselage fairings. This is where I saw the most rubbing and paint damage over the course of 900+ hours. The leading edges of the exposed fairings and nose cones of the wheel paints had very little damage from bugs or rocks. Of course this will vary depending on where you fly and the type of runways you use. Forget about the underside of the wheel pants. They'll take the brunt of the wear, but fortunately remain unseen most of the time.

Chris

The UHMW tape will yellow over time. I think I would use the automotive clear vinyl stone guard instead. Easier to replace when necessary without the yellowing as well. It is what I used for the flaps. No yellowing or issues in 7 years and 750hrs. Just a thought.

The UHMW tape will yellow over time. I think I would use the automotive clear vinyl stone guard instead. Easier to replace when necessary without the yellowing as well. It is what I used for the flaps. No yellowing or issues in 7 years and 750hrs. Just a thought.
Thanks. I get around the yellowing issue by placing the tape inside the fairings and under the wing for the flaps. But nice to hear about options.

I learned something here. My guess would have been that 20 year old paint was ‘too old’. Was the can never opened?
The red paint (Sherwin Williams AcryGlo) was never opened since 2005. The yellow had been opened about three years ago to repaint the spinner and then resealed. Both still good, but the painter said it would be best not to use again; It took the red four days to dry -- so pretty much out of date. BTW, no clear coat used either in 2005 or on the repaint. That shine you see is the original paint.

Back