What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Owners Be Proud!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve owned both the 8 & the 4, no contest, the 4 looks the sexiest, flies much better than the 8 and when you fly 95% on your own it doesn’t get any better👍 To me the 4 is a roomy single seater wth bucket loads of baggage👍

You have an electrical system in a Bucker?

heathen!

Yep, I'm a heathen...but a retro-centric heathen amigo. What started out as "I really want a better radio than a handheld (that only listened, couldn't talk)", turned into a new panel...and a boost pump (to augment that Christen wobble pump), so then came a bigger alternator (it had a tiny one)...and I better check those old fuel and oil hoses (all 17 of them...yep...they look and "sound" 34 years old), and boy is Tom Swearengen a great guy to work with...and that wiring...yuck...it's all new now...and I learned to lace!...and, well you get the pic. But the panel is black and white round dials...even the new UMA engine gauges, with an FK-38 Kompass in the middle, that I found on eBay in Australia...and it works...and its just two hands from a German Luftwaffe plane in 1945! Having fun with this...making the systems and FWF stuff as nice (hopefully) as the last owners made the fabric restoration!

I didn’t notice that in Bobs post. Bob - you holding out on me? A Bucker?
Welcome to the club!
(Most of us have electrical systems, and Lycomings, except the very few Jungmeisters still flying with the Siemens.)
Flying a Bucker will make you wish an RV flew as well, unless you actually want to go somewhere, or want heat, or luggage, or…… ya, they fly well anyway.

J J, I didn't know you have a Bücker...or did I? I know Lava did, do you now own that one, or did you have one too? It's an absolute blast. Lycoming AEIO-360B with 10:1 and full inverted fuel and oil. Climbs like a homesick angel. Did a roll on the last leg home from South Carolina after purchase, and...whoa! Awesome! All you said above rings true...the RV is awesome...and the Bücker is such a nice compliment to it...and will teach you what your feet are for too! ;) . Let's get them together! :)

Yep, I'm a heathen...but a retro-centric heathen amigo. What started out as "I really want a better radio than a handheld (that only listened, couldn't talk)", turned into a new panel...and a boost pump (to augment that Christen wobble pump), so then came a bigger alternator (it had a tiny one)...and I better check those old fuel and oil hoses (all 17 of them...yep...they look and "sound" 34 years old), and boy is Tom Swearengen a great guy to work with...and that

wiring...yuck...it's all new now...and I learned to lace!...and, well you get the pic. But the panel is black and white round dials...even the new UMA engine gauges, with an FK-38 Kompass in the middle, that I found on eBay in Australia...and it works...and its just two hands from a German Luftwaffe plane in 1945! Having fun with this...making the systems and FWF stuff as nice (hopefully) as the last owners made the fabric restoration!

J J, I didn't know you have a Bücker...or did I? I know Lava did, do you now own that one, or did you have one too? It's an absolute blast. Lycoming AEIO-360B with 10:1 and full inverted fuel and oil. Climbs like a homesick angel. Did a roll on the last leg home from South Carolina after purchase, and...whoa! Awesome! All you said above rings true...the RV is awesome...and the Bücker is such a nice compliment to it...and will teach you what your feet are for too! ;) . Let's get them together! :)
Ya man!
I traded Lava hangar lights for a few hours in his Bucker then bought my own. I have had it for 17 years.
Sorry for the thread drift. Get that thing in the air and I’ll be down in a heart beat. To keep this relevant: an 8 can make your place in two hours. Double that for the Bucker, plus a fuel stop.
It would be good to catch up my friend.
And yes, every RV owner needs to complement their stable with a Bucker.
Lava’s Bucker stayed in the field when he passed. The new owner has a very nice RV7A, but is a bit intimated by the Bucker, so it hasn’t flown much. As you know, landing a Bucker isnt for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
I don;’t know how many folks watched the EAA webinar with Van on Tuesday night, talking about the history of RV’s, but there was an interesting moment in the Q&A (I had dropped off for another engagement by then, but I was watching the replay yesterday). Van was asked “What’s your favorite of all the RV’S?” His initial response was what you’d expect…..”that’s like askign a parent who’s you favorite child!!!”

Then he thought about it and said “another way to look at it is if you could only have ONE RV, which would it be?”
;
His answer? The RV-8!!

Fight’s on……. 😉

Richard (“Van”) VanGrunsven's favorite, as he said at an Oshkosh seminar, a few years ago, is the RV-3.... I was there. Makes sense, first and is a hot rod. I have time in the -3 and it's nice. It was a few years ago said this, so guess he has a new favorite child. The most popular model sales/completions was the RV-6 but replaced by the RV-7.... BE PROUD RV-7 OWNERS!!!! :):)

Also be proud RV-3, -4, -6, -7, -8, -9, -10, -12, -14 owners. They are all great !!!

According to Mike Seager the RV-8 is the most difficult of the models to land well. Although all RV's are not difficult overall (tail or nose wheel) respect it. They are predictable and have low landing speed. I find no difficulty flying and landing the RV-8, but like the RV-4 with passenger and rear baggage, it takes on a whole new feel both flying and landing. No shock there as CG is near aft limit.

Last edited:
The Jungmann is just a fantastic airplane I liked the 320 fixed pitch wood better than the 360 with metal fixed pitch. 320 was no electric, 360 electric.

RV8 wings: I have never flown an Air Tractor but I think if you put a Air Tractor pilot in a RV8, hand him the controls and don't keep VERY CLOSE watch on him, there is a good chance of breaking the wings.
Refer to Vans Aerobatic Epistle, the portion regarding G loads in an RV at high speeds.
Even the purpose built aerobatic airplanes break as proven by the current US National Champion on several occasions.

I do transition training and one thing I do is 3g pulls (below maneuvering speed) wings level, than stick neutral, to 1g climb for a few seconds, then recover to level, to see how little force and deflection it takes, how fast G's can happen and what 3g's feels like.

Many pilots fly around at 1g in a Cessna and transition into an RV, fast maneuverable plane, have no frame of reference.

Every RV pilot should practice all maneuvers expected of their rating, steep turns, stall series including accelerated stalls, slips, slow flight. You need to be proficient before ever considering aerobatics. If you do aerobatics in your RV you should have a G-meter, my opinion.

I say more than once to students in RV's (something I don't say to Cessna students). "you can pull pull hard enough and break the plane." Speed and controls, light stick forces and a lot of authority, can cause structural damage to the uninitiated. The key is speed, below maneuvering. (Yes you can break a Cessna but they are often flying below Va and they don't build speed as fast nose down.)

Vne is based on True airspeed not indicated. I explain flutter. No split-S from level at cruise speed, no low altitude acro.... Training is key. Most of what I said is Van's literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back