What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Tall Pilot Mods

mizer2167

I'm looking at buying a compeleted RV-6A and I'm curious other than seat cushions and the almost and RV-14 seat recline modification, is it possible to move the rudder pedals further forward on an RV-6A and gain some additional leg room?

Since each plane is built individually, is there any way to tell how far forward the rudders are setup from a photo?

I have a 6A and am 6' 3" tall
My plane I did the RV-14 mod, easy out bar and removed the panel extender under the panel when I rebuilt the panel. I have no leg access or space that I would want or need.
As to the rudder pedals being moved forward. YES. If they are not already to the forward holes. My plane was on the second hole with out the extender link and you couldn't get full rudder control. I move the mounts to the third hole set and made a double length link. 1 3/4" long.
There should be three sets of holes. You have to crawl/slide under the panel to see where the mounts are currently located. You may have to drill the center mount as mine were not.
As for the question can you see in a photo. No Not really unless the photo is at the currently located place.
If and when you move the pedals you will have to fabricate extender links for the cables and check for clearance of what's on the firewall that the pedals may hit.
Another thing you can do is add two more hinge halves on the floor to move the bottom of the seat rearward.
I fly with a standard seatback and bottom cushions for comfort.
I have no problems now But I did before the panel rework.
I like the moving the bottom of the seat rearward though. I Had to cut some slots to get the seat belts through there.
As a side note: I cut the seat backs down as far as I could so I could get my arm over the seat to reach things in the back and reworked the upholstery
to match.
My luck varies Fixit

As a visual cue, my forward rudder tube comes within a bit over 1" of the standard firewall recess box. I'm tall and I think mine are in the forward holes. That box, if you have it, would limit how far forward you could go.

The 6 was built with either floor or overhead mounted rudder pedals. If you have overhead, they can be moved forward just shy of where they interfere with the firewall etc. Floor mount pedals: switch to overhead mount.

shorter control stick.

I cut mine down about 1 1/2 inches. sensitivity went up way too much for me, ordered a replacement and flying with it.
Don

Back