What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Running tail light wiring

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
How did you guys run the tail light wires on the bottom rudder fairing? I know I’m going to have to make some holes somewhere but I’m not sure of the best path.

I’m working with this….btw the crack above the light has been repaired.

I have the same Flyled light in my -9A (same rudder, VS, fuse as your -7A). I ran the wires, with a service loop, forward through a drilled hole in the bottom fairing in line with the opening at the bottom of the vertical stabilizer spar.

No joy on the pic.
Make the wire connection inside the bottom fairing.
Note to the next owner: Remove the light from the fairing to disconnect wires before removing the rudder from the plane.

Make sure you drill some drain holes in the bottom of the fiberglass, keep any connectors as high as possible. That location can get wet.

4 pin Deutsch connector small enough to remove through the mount hole.

Attachments

• 20150828_173139.jpg
    20150828_173139.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 40
Here's another idea. Instead of running the wire through the rudder fairing, I ran it up and over, securing it to the inside of the fairing and to the fuselage bulkhead:

I did it this way so that when the rudder swings back and forth, it might be gentler on the wire, a slight twist rather than a bend back and forth. It also makes it so I can remove the rudder fairing entirely without cutting the wires. I could probably protect the wire even more with some anti-chafe sleeve, maybe next condition inspection.

Back