What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedal Finish

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron

Attachments

• IMG_8273.jpeg
    IMG_8273.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 156
You guys definitely have way too much time on your hands. I struggled to make progress with stock parts.

I laid out a rectangular grid pattern and used a sharp punch and BIG hammer to raise sharp edged "volcanos" on the surface to improve friction between pedal surface and my shoes. Hard anodized them afterwards.

Attachments

• 03-07-08A.jpg
    03-07-08A.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Had mine powdercoated in SandTex by a local guy that does a lot of automotive work. Turned out beautifully. He also did the battery box and firewall through-holes.

I'm not sure of the longevity, but they sure look great now.

Attachments

• pedals.jpg
    pedals.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 90
Had mine powdercoated in SandTex by a local guy that does a lot of automotive work. Turned out beautifully. He also did the battery box and firewall through-holes.

I'm not sure of the longevity, but they sure look great now.

I powdercoated mine, too. 400 hours and look like new.

A friend did cerakote on mine. Very durable, not a mark after 30 hours of flight time.

Attachments

• IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 78
In the end, just like 22.9% of respondent’s, I went with powder coating. Only took a couple of days and was $100 cash (which included the steps at the same time).

They were done in a textured black finish - he had me inspect an entire truck bed to see if I wanted the same finish. I felt embarrassed handing him 4 pedals!

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8510.jpeg

IMG_8511.jpeg

I figured no matter what finish I might do they were probably gonna get beat up so I might as well embrace it. I just have them some swirlies with a 1.5" scotch bright disk in a die grinder. The picture isn't very good, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_5229.jpeg
    IMG_5229.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
In the end, just like 22.9% of respondent’s, I went with powder coating. Only took a couple of days and was $100 cash (which included the steps at the same time).

They were done in a textured black finish - he had me inspect an entire truck bed to see if I wanted the same finish. I felt embarrassed handing him 4 pedals!

Those look awesome!

What's more durable for the rudder pedals, anodizing or powder coating?
You’d have to say anodising, as it’s not a coating - powder coat could chip off maybe?

I went with powder because the only anodising place near me didn’t return emails. But the powder guy was excited to work on aeroplane bits.

Back