What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder cable rubs on ELT mount?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey guys- I have the Vans optional ELT mount that rivets to the tailcone J channels immediately aft of the baggage bulkhead. The rudder cable runs under the mount, between it and the tailcone skin. After rigging the rudder the other day I noticed that the rudder cable lightly rubs on the edged of the mounting plate.

I'm not worried about that thin aluminum damaging the steel cable, but sooner or later the cable is going to saw a groove in the mount. Plus it' just bad form to have stuff rubbing like that.

Based on how this is designed, I can't be the only one who's run across this, so what are people normally doing back here?

Mount the ELT to the bell crank rib instead (F-729A, DWG 26), just aft of the bell crank on the right side...

Mount the ELT to the bell crank rib instead (F-729A, DWG 26), just aft of the bell crank on the right side...
My Garmin pitch servo is already occupying that spot. Plus this mount is already riveted on and it's definitely in the location called out by the OP-42 drawing. I don't get why it's rubbing there. Seems shady.

I'm thinking of adding a little angle bracket with a snap bushing to keep it off that bracket, but I just wondered what others who are using this kit are doing.

My Garmin pitch servo is already occupying that spot. Plus this mount is already riveted on and it's definitely in the location called out by the OP-42 drawing. I don't get why it's rubbing there. Seems shady.

I'm thinking of adding a little angle bracket with a snap bushing to keep it off that bracket, but I just wondered what others who are using this kit are doing.
Here's a pic, no problem with the Garmin GSA-28 Pitch mount. But, to each his own; the after-bulkhead access is a PITA no matter what, I suppose that's why they stuffed waaaaaaaay in the back on the -14.

IMG_1066.JPG

FWIW, I do recall the rubbing propensity, especially when the cable is unloaded. Maybe just relieve the flange in the areas where the cable traverses the mount.

Oh-and-by-the-way; are you going to sleve the rudder cable with the cable stay material? That might help with the rubs.

FWIW, I do recall the rubbing propensity, especially when the cable is unloaded. Maybe just relieve the flange in the areas where the cable traverses the mount.

Oh-and-by-the-way; are you going to sleve the rudder cable with the cable stay material? That might help with the rubs.

I hadn't really thought about it, but that might be a better solution than what I was planning. I'll have to take a look. Do people typically use this where the cable goes past the seat bottom? Thats another area I'm not real thrilled with, at least until I get the interior in.

On my builds, I installed it at the rudder pedals because I didn't like the look/potential for rubs along the sides, baggage compartment covers. I suppose you could use more of it (~3 lengths) and cover the entire cable, end-to-end...

Back