What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Cable attachment

bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
I've been noticing an excessive amount of play in the rudder cable clevis and R-405PD rudder horns on a number of RV's at my home airport.

It seems that there is a gap (~.062") between the clevis fork and the R-405PD, which over time allows the clevis fork to work/wear the bushing in the R-405PD.

Adding two AN960-10L (NAS1149F0332P) washers between the clevis fork and R-405PD horn will close this gap and prevent the clevis from moving up/down with respect to the rudder horn ears and causing excessive wear at this location.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 10.08.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 10.08.10 AM.png
    253.7 KB · Views: 223
Bushing?
It's just a plain hole in the aluminum angle.

Well…..that plain hole will become oversized and oval, eventually - so drilling it out for a bushing is what many long-term fliers have done! All our RV’s have steel bushing in there now - replacing the rudder horn is not a simple task!

Bushing?
It's just a plain hole in the aluminum angle.

I'm not entirely sure when the change to the R-405PD was made, but my build circa 2015 and subsequent builds, have a bronze bushing pressed into the hole. Maybe it's steel -- I'll check it with a magnet later this weekend...

Minor but related hijack:
Use an AN-43B in the holes for the steering chains. If the egg-shaped clips are used in the aluminum those holes will be also eventually be shot.

Dan H says to give those clips a float test in the nearest lake, river, or pond. I gave that a try……. mine didn’t float either….

Clevis, not clip

He’s giving a tip about the clevis side. Not the clip side.
However, maybe it should have a bushing like the clip side does.

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 124
I'm not entirely sure when the change to the R-405PD was made, but my build circa 2015 and subsequent builds, have a bronze bushing pressed into the hole. Maybe it's steel -- I'll check it with a magnet later this weekend...

I stand corrected.
Yes, my new kit has steel bushings pressed into that part.
My last kit (2010'ish) did not.

I stand corrected.

I don't recall seeing bushings (steel or other) on my -8 build (1998), or my first -7 build (2004).

This is one of those things where I wish they had some additional revision control and documentation available...<sigh>

Bushing

Bushing part number

VA 137

Used these when I built a new rudder for my RV 3 last year

Rob

I stand corrected.

Got my 9A emp in Jan 2005…time flies more than I ever will. I best look at bushing the rudder at the next CI…

Bushing

Not certain what they are made of, not brass but a grey metal, also did not look like steel but could be wrong on that.
They were a push fit.

Rob

Guidance

Is there any specific guidance someone can point me to regarding installation of these bushings? From Paul’s post it appears to be a common modification of the rudder horn, but this thread is the first I’ve heard about it.

The R-405PD rudder horn on my 7A (circa 2006) has no inserts. I downloaded the current rudder drawing (DWG 7) from the Van’s website and no bushing is indicated for the horn. Also looked at DWG 27A that shows the hardware stack up that secures the rudder cable clevis to the horn, and again no bushing.

My installation has no wear yet, but inspection of that area will be enhanced at the next CI. It would be nice to know how to address the issue before it becomes a problem. Modifying the holes with bushings would certainly be a lot easier than replacing that horn assembly.

Last edited:
The bushing is magnetic. It gets pressed into place with your squeezer. It goes in the clevis hole. If the fit is a little loose, then a dab of JB Weld can be used.

I don’t remember where I saw/read about it but ordered from Vans (VA-137 $4.70) and installed.

For the clip side, I’ll be using eye bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 108
Guidance

Are there instructions available for how to set these VA137 bushings and reinstall the clevis? Apparently the bushings are press fit. Is there a particular squeezer die I need to accomplish this?

Surprising that the bush insert call out seems to be missing or overlooked on the later model plans?

The 1984 plans for RV 3 rudder horn clearly shows the details for bronze inserts.

Russell

Attachments

• 16-3.jpg
    16-3.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 95
The drawing was just what I needed. I see now how simple this is to do. I might just buy some thick wall tubing (not aluminum) to make my own bushings.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back