What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax RV 9 to become a thing?

I’ve talked with Phil extensively in the past few months, and the official word is still that it’s under development, and when they finish the test program they’ll decide where to go with it. That said, I’d guess that with the amount they’ve invested , there’ll be a significant incentive to push the program forward….but we’ll see.

I’ve talked with Phil extensively in the past few months, and the official word is still that it’s under development, and when they finish the test program they’ll decide where to go with it. That said, I’d guess that with the amount they’ve invested , there’ll be a significant incentive to push the program forward….but we’ll see.

*waves hand furiously from the back of the room*

"ME ME ME ME ME!!!"

Can't help thinking that if Vans had developed a modern take on the RV9 along these lines with the Rotax engine and the RV14 style kit and documentation, it would be quite an addition to the range. It would also have leveraged their existing engineering experience and common parts, with far less time, risk and effort than the clean sheet RV15 design.

Can't help thinking that if Vans had developed a modern take on the RV9 along these lines with the Rotax engine and the RV14 style kit and documentation, it would be quite an addition to the range. It would also have leveraged their existing engineering experience and common parts, with far less time, risk and effort than the clean sheet RV15 design.

Fully agree that a modernized kit would be great. However, a clean sheet, updated - Mosaic supported design built around a lighter motor could be better designed and not need the disproportionately long nose. Something with a bit heavier wing loading and and performance than the RV12. What would be even better would be an economical engine option for those that don’t need a $50,000 turbo! I, and others, wish Rotax would produce a larger bore, normally aspirated motor - forgoing the cost and complexity of turbos, intercoolers, etc. An airframe designed properly could be a 150 kt cruiser with a 130/135 HP non-turbo Rotax 9xx and a 170 kt. High altitude cruiser with a 916.

Back